Sign in to follow this  
James Helm

Jungle knife

Well, it's a bit less elaborate tham my original plan, but here's the current status on my KITH.

jungleknife.jpg

It's based off of blades from Thailand. This pic was taken post-hardening, pre-tempering. More pics as it gets worked on.

I like that! Waiting in anticipation for the finished product. I sure would like to see how you do your handles.(hint, hint)

I really like the shape, it fits the tile well.

Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for it.

John

What are the dimensions on that bad boy, it looks like a jungle pruner. Nice job so far.

Kip

I'll have to get dimensions later (the blade is approximately 13" long), but about all that remains is wrapping the handle, sealing it, and sharpening it.

Troy, I've changed the dimensions of the handle preform a bit, but here's the basic procedure:

Another couple of changes: I start the roll on the drop between the main face and the cutting table of my anvil now, and I start it with a ball pein to make it more rounded (which, yes, I flatten out later, but it helps make it neater and more comfortable). You could start it in the vise like in the video, or on a swage.

Also, I do most of the spreading of the steel on the handle preform using my power hammer now. :D

If you're careful and you do roll the handle right, you don't need to use a mandrel unless you have a bit of cleanup to do. I think maybe I forged this one without using the mandrel.

Edited by Stormcrow

Thanks for the links to your videos. Very informative. Must try that soon!

I didn't get dimensions today, but I did get the handle wrapped:

jungleknife2.jpg

The main wrap is hemp and the two-strand Turk's head knots are some large cotton cord. This picture was taken just after tying, before trimming the ends of the cord and sealing it all in black shellac (clear shellac with India ink added). I'll see if it needs more shellac tomorrow.

I dunno, I kinda like the light colored wrap. I'd be happy to get it either way.

Nice work, looks like many of the knives from SEA.

very cool! one question Iv'e always had though, how thick are your machetes, choppers at the spine?

Luke - I debated about it, and was leaning toward amber shellac, but it takes more layers to get the white cotton cord to a better-looking (to my sense of aesthetics) brown, and time was short, so I went with the black shellac.

Ben - That's the idea. :) It's similar to a short dha I did before, but with a rounded belly instead of the quasi-kissaki I did on that one.

Dillon - Oh, they're 'bout yay thick. *indicates with fingers* :D They vary a bit, and many of them have multiple distal tapers, but the thickest they'll get is about 1/4" right above the chopping sweet spot. Without having this one in hand to measure, I'd say it's around 3/16", which is about average. That's part of the reason I ended up adopting the term "bush sword" (though I didn't coin the term, it fits what I make), because they are thicker than the average machete.

Better pictures and more data later, but here's what it looks like now.

jungleknife3.jpg

Well worth the wait, Looks great

Kip

Very nice B) The handle turned out very well.

John

Happy to get this one!

Doesn't it go from #1 to #2?? No big deal.. but I thought that was how I read it??

Sorry, Sam explained it to me wrong :wacko:. Blame him :lol:

Here's what it looked like just prior to getting mailed to Scott. I'm sure he can provide better pics once he has it in hand. :)

jungleknife4.jpg