Hunting Knife

Oskar Larson

Don't laugh I'm only 12. I'm making this knife out of an old nickelson file. The handle is made from a WW2 maple stock from a mauser rifle and I stained it. Those two dots are copper rivets but the main thing that's holding the blade in there is epoxy. My dad just softened the blade because it was way to hard, that's why it's black.

IMG_20120228_133134.jpg

Oskar, here's something you have to know about this forum- no one will ever laugh at your work! These folks are dedicated to encouraging your aspirations and furthering your knowledge of the craft. You may receive challenges to push your skills further, but everyone's rooting for you. After all, we're all on the same trail together. That's what makes this place such a haven for inspiration and camaraderie.

And that is a fine blade, my friend! Far superior to my first attempt. The shape is pleasing and the colors are well chosen. I look forward to seeing more of your projects!

He that will a good edge win must forge thick, and grind thin.

-Colin Sampson

Nice to see some fellow student knife makers - and it looks way better than my first attempt. You got a really nice overall curve to the entire design - I really like it.

if that's your first, then congratulations! you've surpassed my first 4 knives already :rolleyes:

Stick with it man. starting at your age, you're bound to produce some great work! B)

jared Z.

lilzee on britishblades.

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Gee, I wish my first knife looked even half that good. I'm thrilled to see you people start out in knife making. It gives a lot more time to develope skills than you will have if you wait until retirement. I also feel that young people are able to pick things up quicker than card carrying AARP members. Stick with it; you're doing fine.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Looks pretty good, Nice job on the bevels.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

Good job!!

You should be really proud you did this at your age!! I started making knives at your age and didn't do nearly as nice of a job. I was grinding bolts into spear heads at your age.

You did an awesome job on this. Keep going.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Oskar, its great that your enjoying your work and your dad is helping you. My dad and I made my first knife at 14. He encouraged me to stay after it but I got distracted. Stick with it young man. This is a great craft; and good work on your first.

CUSTOM KNIVES BY JL RHODES

JLRKNIVES

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

God bless you. I thank God every day for the freedom to spend time with those I love, and time to pursue this craft.

"Adversity is a test for strong men."

"What one man can do, so can another."

"NO excuses, just do better next time."

That's a good one, beats the first four or five I made as well. That is a very nice shape.

I just ground the shape. I thought it would look good but I didn't think it would that good. I'm pretty amazed at my own work. I haven't sharpened it yet, you've probably picked that up.

Edited by Oskar Larson

I started making knives at twelve and I have to say that this is amazing. My first piece looked horrible but this is very nice.

"When confronted by many of life's problems, I find that few cannot be alleviated through the use of a stout hammer blow."- anonymous

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice knife....Like everyone said. I'm 30 years your senior and wish mine had started out like this one. Good work Oskar keep at it!

Loneforge Blades

A great start for sure. By the time you reach 21 you will be pro.

I wish at age 12 I had done that well or even started . keep up your passion and desire to work with steel and make knifes and tools .

Sam

Robert D. Yates , 13 & On Forge