Sources of Charcoal in/near New England

Hello everyone,

My name is Addison de Lisle. I have a (very) small blacksmithing studio, and looking to get another forge. I have a three burner propane forge already, but I would like to work in a more open forge that would accommodate less linear work. I have been talking with a local metalworking school (New England School of Metalwork), and they have offered to sell me a charcoal forge or a coal forge, depending on my preference (the charcoal forge is a side draft with a shallower firepot). I would very much prefer to work with charcoal, but I am having some difficulty finding a source for lump charcoal. I thought it wouldn't be to difficult given the lumber and paper industry in Maine, but I haven't had much luck finding it available in 40lb bags or more. I have looked into making charcoal myself, and it sounds interesting and fun, but at this point I would rather spend my time forging than collecting wood. Does anyone know of a lump charcoal supplier that will sell in 40lb bags or more (preferably near New England)?

I'm not sure about new england but I know my walmart sells 20 lb bags of hardwood lump charcoal for about 5 bucks in the barbecue section year round.

A word of caution about the cheap charcoal for barbequing, don't get a mix with mesquite in it. When you heat it up it make a million sparks that fly all over the shop (they seem to prefer exposed flesh, hair, and anything flammable) and make forging less than fun.

A word of caution about the cheap charcoal for barbequing, don't get a mix with mesquite in it. When you heat it up it make a million sparks that fly all over the shop (they seem to prefer exposed flesh, hair, and anything flammable) and make forging less than fun.

Amen to that!

I once bought a cord of mesquite for a wood stove. Every time I opened to add wood it was like the 4th of July.

Plus, I was hungry all the time from the smell.:D Mesquite grilled meat is very tasty.

Ben

Mesquite does do that...but once the volatiles are driven off it settles down....People were asked to bring charcoal to recent bloomery demo I do here locally...the store ran out of cowboy and we ended up using Mesquite at the end. I was surprised it worked as well as it did.

Jan