• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
ryan stevens

Procrastinate... We all do it.

15 posts in this topic

As always i put things off to the last minuetbiggrin.gif. I started last Thursday thinking a week was plenty of time... lets just say i have been busting my butt trying to find room for this knife and school. I am hoping be finished by Friday.unsure.gif

I took a railroad clip and straightened it out and forged this little Bowie/fighter (i don't really know what it is). It is so cool what we can do with a rusty piece of metal.

It's OA: 9 1/2 inches

blade length: 5 inches

handle: 4 1/2

spine thickness: 1/4 inch

I don't know how mythological or tribal it is but i hope you like it.

As always i put things off to the last minuetbiggrin.gif. I started last Thursday thinking a week was plenty of time... lets just say i have been busting my butt trying to find room for this knife and school. I am hoping be finished by Friday.unsure.gif

I took a railroad clip and straightened it out and forged this little Bowie/fighter (i don't really know what it is). It is so cool what we can do with a rusty piece of metal.

It's OA: 9 1/2 inches

blade length: 5 inches

handle: 4 1/2

spine thickness: 1/4 inch

I don't know how mythological or tribal it is but i hope you like it.

DSC_0353.JPG

DSC_0377.JPG

DSC_0383.JPG

DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0391.JPG

DSC_0399.JPG

DSC_0416.JPG

DSC_0420.JPG

Hey, Casey Jones must've had a knife! Looking good so far.

Edited by Troy Christianson

Nice looking blade.

Kip

Those are some nice looking pictures, Ryan. Nice knife.

I just pulled the knife out my mailbox! awesome knife, great shape, well polished, and a good weight! you've really got a lot of talent ryan!

Thanks Dillon!!! I am glad you like it.

Nice blade with a very interesting shape. I've been using a lot of found scrap from the railyard while working on refining my hammer techniques as well. You can't beat free "rusty gold" B)/>

That is a really cool blade! I love forgeing junk into blades. I just picked up one those yesterday while gathering old spikes. Do you have any notion as to wheather or not it's hardenable?

Even the HC spikes are not very high in carbon. Good forging practice though! I heard one time about the clips and I can't remember what the carbon content is in one of them!

I will say this though Ryan you got talent when it comes too forging. That blade turned out well. I am however disappointed that there is not at least one pic of it finished! I really like the shape of it! That is one fine job of forging! B)

As we are neighbors...I happen to have a few picture of it finished :)

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

Nice looking little blade...I really like the shape.I see that it had a hamon in your drawings... was that just wishful thinking?

Even the HC spikes are not very high in carbon. Good forging practice though! I heard one time about the clips and I can't remember what the carbon content is in one of them!

Railroad clip springs are actually pretty decent steel,and they are entirely different from railroad spikes... I believe the clips are 1060, or about the equivelent there of. And straightening them out is a work out, haha . It's a lot of material, did you use the whole darn clip for that one knife, or just part of it?

I've been making to post on this, but I can;t seem to get to it. Sorry Ryan.

Ric

That is a really cool blade! I love forgeing junk into blades. I just picked up one those yesterday while gathering old spikes. Do you have any notion as to wheather or not it's hardenable?

I've been using rail anchors quite a lot recently because I a just starting up and free steel is nice, so I decided to look up the alloy and they are a slightly higher manganese alloy of 1060 with a pinch of silicon. In my opinion they actually harden up nicer than 5160