Sign in to follow this  
TSchiks

tongs

hey all

firstly, id like to say thanks, this forum has helped immensely. it makes it much easier for us newbies to at least have an idea of where to start.

anyway, i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about tongs/other holding devices- which one(s) would be best to start out with?

thanks again

-TSchiks

I have several tongs , but I use only two pair 95% of the time. One pair is regular blade tongs that hold onto the blade end so you can hammer on the tang end. Then I have some 5/16 wolfjaw tongs that are great for holding the tang while fine tuning the blade or quenching. I want to get a larger set of each for bowie knives , but I make do for now.  This I've learned, good tongs make your life easier while on the hammer or power hammer. Lin

blacksmiths depot

I like the Off Center brand a lot. I just bought a pair of Tom Tongs from a buddy, they are good too.

" blacksmith's depot"

when I say that out loud it just really sounds kinda wierd in a wal-mart kinda way... not that I have anything against wally-world or anything...

chuga-chuga-chuga woo woo

it's the Kayne And Sons new web adress :D

I feel better now... :P

I was goona rant about making your own tongs, but the truth of the matter is I only make them once my buddies catch on to me stealin thiers... I have tongs from Mike Blue, my buddy greg, Ed Storch, I have a pair I think might be jason's but I'm not sure, they could be greg's too, I almost had a set of Al Massey's but he kept his eye on me too much. Greg stole one of my best hammers made by a guy  up north though, so my guilt there is limited.

I gotta get down south this winter and raid fogg's and fikes's stuff, I'm runnin low...

So if Randall comes to see me I'm painting all my tools  PINK

i have 1 set of tongs, Wolfjaw from Kayne & Sons.  I go to shops that have bagoodles of tongs, and i dont know which pair to grab....   easier just to have 1 pair that works for everything.