Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Price

Knifemaker In The News

So I saw this last night, and it's still up today on CBS news.

News Story

Now, I don't mind the guy getting publicity, but I resent that the public will take from this the notion that cutting out sheet steel and putting an edge on it is all we as knifemakers do.

How do we get someone to film such a high-quality documentary on the more involved experience of forging, let alone smelting, to get a piece of steel to the point Mr. Bukiewicz starts with? I know there have been a few excellent videos here, maybe someone should send the links to the reporter. (edit, I went ahead and added the John Neeman videos to the comments, hope you don't mind sir.)

Edited by Christopher Price

I agree with you Chris BUT, many people don't even realized that anyone makes knives by hand any more at all. The fact that the national news is talking about knife-makers (and not production knife companies) is a huge plus. Any interest in the craft is always welcome. Someone watching this will get interested and come to realizes quickly that there is a whole world of bladesmithing/knifemaking to explore.

MOST knife makers do a version of just that.

I'd rather see this type of thing where a local guy is filling a local need with smart production methods which are well adapted to the product made.

The video was extremely well done and captures the guy's mood..why he does what he does.

The comment on the four-five guys doing custom kitchen knives..well...maybe he does not get out much or maybe he draws a line at full time just kitchen knives...so..I'll let that slide.

What burns my muffins is when I see a "smith" bang a round bar flat, grind the rest to shape, dunk it in old motor oil and place a turd of a handle on the end and say he is one of the best in the business....seen that on TV twice too many.

Think of it..he is meeting and working with his clients (apparently chef's who use knives on the job)...and hosting classes on knife use and care...seems like a good business plan to me.

I'd like to have more like this Joe Bukiewcz working in high rent areas (major cities) filling a local need and slowly bring him into the hot work end where he may be able to express himself better....he took the risk and went full time and is making a go of it...I applaud that even if I do not share the same aesthetic he does.

Ric

Excellent point, Ric. I find myself in agreement with you and admit not having thought it through all the way.

Bill Burke got some TV time here in the Great North Wet a month or so back, about 10 minutes worth, but good stuff. Not too much hyperbole about the magical properties of forged steel. I'd rather see him get the air time than some others I won't name.

Geoff

Bill Burke got some TV time here in the Great North Wet a month or so back, about 10 minutes worth, but good stuff. Not too much hyperbole about the magical properties of forged steel. I'd rather see him get the air time than some others I won't name.

Geoff

Quit picking on me. ^_^

Ric

CBS did a story on Bob Kramer a few years ago for their Sunday Morning magazine show. Video is still on their site: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5738120n

Bob was also featured on a Modern Marvels episode IIRC. They've covered blade forging a few times. I just recently saw the one on swords and axes with Paul Champagne....

-d

The one most memorable to me was Howard Clark was on and more recently twice for Owen.

There was one with Louis Mills that was pretty good too.

Ric, the problem with getting you on TV is that most producers want a script, not stream of consciousness. They can't handle your multi-thought entrainment...

Oh man, I remember a group of guys I went to high school with said they made "the best knives in the world, hands down"

By being, and pardon my slander here, a buncha leaf spring grinder jockeys.

buuuuttttt

The cost of a stock removal blade and one that was forged to shape and filed/sanded to final finish, will be quite a substantial difference.

Unfortunately for us, most people just arent willing to pay what wrought knives are really worth.

Its a shame really, but im certain most are like me.

I do it not for the money nor the fortune, but for the love of the craft.

A rising tide floats all boats. I am happy to see each and every positive exposure that our craft gets.