Italy?

JM Wands

Heya All,,,,

My friends and family are taking a trip to Italy and I wondered if there were any recommendations out there as to any local 'smiths, museums, scrap heaps to see. We will be a week in Rome and a couple of days each in Florence, Sienna, and Venice. Like to meet, or see anything related to smithing, blades, architectural, etc. Thanks in advance,,,

jm

Blade

The blade, elegant
Slicing through the sweet, warm breeze
with a precise hit.

Sam Wands (10 years old)

Gold for the merchant, silver for the maid;
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at their trade.
Good! Laughed the baron, sitting in his hall;
But steel---cold steel---shall be master of them all!

i have absolutely no idea...i am only commenting to highlight the fact that you are going to a part of the world steaped in history, but while there, will be on the look out for smiths and scrap heaps...you sir are a true bladesmith...good man

"hey guys lets go visit the colosseum today"

"nah, you guys go on with out me, i hear there is a scrap yard near here that has tons of quality steel"

hahahaha

In the eyes of a novice, i may be a master...but in the eyes of a master, im merely a novice.

ichi-go, ichi-e

On the whole, I didn't run into a much in the way of weapons and armour, but I wasn't setting the itinerary, as we were there for a friend's wedding. The place is however still swarming with interesting metalwork, and art, especially sculpture.

Otherwise, Trajan's Column, in Rome, was wonderful to see in person. My patient girlfriend put up with nearly an hour sitting around next to it, while I poured over it with binoculars. (You can't get very close)

Actually, it's silly, and I think most of us would spot it left to our own devices, but keep an eye out for hand rails in places like the staircase leading to the top of the Duomo dome, in Florence. (Pictured) Much of it is old wrought, burnished by hundreds of thousands, heck, millions, of hands.

IMG_2638.JPGIMG_2652.JPGIMG_2650.JPG

Oh, and in case you end up in a position to benefit from it: We stayed in a hostel directly opposite the Palazzo Pitti, and in our last hour or so before walking to the train station, discovered the massive garden (the Boboli) out the back of the Palazzo. I don't think you can get in there without paying the entrance fee, but it's beautiful, large, and has some great views of the rest of Florence, across the Arno river. It's also a nice place to get a bit of quiet time, and eat your lunch.

Good luck, and have fun.

Heya All,,,,

My friends and family are taking a trip to Italy and I wondered if there were any recommendations out there as to any local 'smiths, museums, scrap heaps to see. We will be a week in Rome and a couple of days each in Florence, Sienna, and Venice. Like to meet, or see anything related to smithing, blades, architectural, etc. Thanks in advance,,,

jm

Can't help about Rome but there was a member here from there i hope he will come to help.

If you'll stay in Florence and Siena, make a visit to Scarperia a beautiful town with history related with knives since a long long time.

Visit there the "museo dei ferri taglienti" here the link museo dei ferri taglienti

sorry nothing in english on the site...

In Venice you may try to meet Trentini Stefano :D---T S---

And stay ready to eat a lot of good things......but please avoid pizza with cappuccino :P

Edited by matteo

my wife is italian...her grandma was talking about it once and said if we ever go there to not just wander into the street and expect vehicles to stop for you...pedestrians most certainly do not have the right away...seriously...they don't givea flying *bleep* in italy...look both ways. she also said that the only thing anyone does in italy is eat...then eat some more...then espresso or some form of coffe beverage...by the time you are done with that, its almost time to eat again...its kind of amazing that italians get anything done at all.

In the eyes of a novice, i may be a master...but in the eyes of a master, im merely a novice.

ichi-go, ichi-e

My great grandfather came from Italy. Upon hearing the quick story it sparked a flame to go to Italy someday. I can't wait to here the adventures of your travels.

Matthew 19:26 With God, all things are possible.

in Rome I would highly recommend castel Sant'Angelo other than the Etruscan museum this was the only place that had a decent collection of arms. and on the upper wall is a nice spot for an esspresso. one of my best memory's of Rome is sitting by the wall with my wife drinking an Latte and looking out on the Vatican. http://en.wikipedia....l_Sant%27Angelo

MP

Edited by Matthew Parkinson

Of course, there are a million things to see. But, if you go to Florence, the Stibbert Museum has wonderful arms and armour, including many full suits of armor from around the world, racks of rapiers, displays of katanas and tsuba and shamshirs and all sorts of other goodies. Check it out.

Venice blade.jpgIn Venice, there are glassmakers, in Murano, making cristal daggers and knives... Edited by Jacques Delfosse

When in Florence the Stibbert is a bit out of town and is only viewable with a guided tour. There is not enough time to see everything but its worth going if you have time. Also there is the Bagello in the centre of town very near the Ufficci. It has a good decorative arms and armour section on the top floor. Here is a link for museums in Florence. http://www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/stibbert_museum.html

Have a look at what else is in town that might be of interest.

In Venice the Dogges Palace has a good armoury which is worth seeing as is the whole palace. There is also an oriental collection that has a very good collection of Japanese arms and armour. I think its the MUSEO DI ARTE ORIENTALE. Though the displays are very dark and very antiquated it is worth seeing.

http://www.arteorientale.org/sito/ing_museo.html

Any Archaeological museum should have some arms and armour among there collections.

Andrew

Well, Rome is known for other things ... if you go to Rome I suggest you not try a scrap yard (I can assure you that here are not good as yours in the USA) but you have to visit lots of beautiful things. Rome is an open-air museum, every corner is a new discovery. Very little about arms, but many beautiful things.

As someone has suggested I recommend the Etruscan Museum of Villa Giulia, absolutely stunning! Also the Roman National Museum, are 4 different museums and you can visit with a single ticket, in my opinion of these 4 Palazzo Massimo is the best.

Then a lot of places that everyone knows as the Colosseum, the Baths of Caracalla, Palatine, Circus Maximus, Vaticano, Phanteon ... and much more that is impossible to list!

I know very little Siena, and have never been to Venice but if you go to Florence you must visit the museum Stibbert, they'll find a lot of iron :lol:

I forgot, someone suggested Castel S. Angelo, well, is not indicated by any sign, but when you're in the terrace in a corner on your left is a narrow staircase that leads to a tower, well, unfortunately the door is closed to the public but you can see (through the grates -_- )a wonderful forge with a very big bellows and a lot of blacksmith tools ...

CIAO FROM ITALY

Marco Di Francesco

Great suggestions! I'll add that I walked to the Stibbert from the center of town (the museum is on the north side) and I wandered around for hours.

But there really is so much richness- hitting a few known highlights and then just walking around various places will serve you well.

Venice is best in winter.

Wow, thanks fellas, great input. Exactly what we were looking for. Will post pics,,,

jm

Blade

The blade, elegant
Slicing through the sweet, warm breeze
with a precise hit.

Sam Wands (10 years old)

Gold for the merchant, silver for the maid;
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at their trade.
Good! Laughed the baron, sitting in his hall;
But steel---cold steel---shall be master of them all!