ZebDeming

Lesson learned

I've been working on a feathered W pattern for the past week. I welded up the billet from 1095 and 15n20 and then got it forged up into a knife and ground down. I was working on the guard for it last night, when I decided to see what it looked like with a bit deeper etch (instead of my usual 1-2 minutes to reveal the pattern) so I set it in the ferric while I worked on the guard. Well one thing lead to another and I let it soak for quite some time. This morning, I went out to the garage to work some more on the guard and couldn't find the blade?? I looked high and low, and then it hit me, I had left it in the ferric :wacko:

Well here it is, I'm kinda bummed

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

It was probably my most complicated pattern weld yet, and I had the blade shaped out just how I wanted it, oh well. I've said it before, an education is bought and paid for one way or another, mine's been paid for mostly in mistakes, I should show you the bucket of shame that I've got learning how to use the lathe :lol:

I'm slowly learning this craft and having fun doing it, even a set back like this ain't all bad, I'll go up town today and refill the propane tank and start over, must be the knife god's wanted me to give it another try.

Zeb

Edited by ZebDeming

Sorry for your loss been there and done it!

You could always tell people it's a relic.

Bob

Zeb,

Show the whole piece please ,not just close-ups.

Ric

I LIKE IT! :D can i have it? i can pay for it. or trade with steel! :) or extremely nice favor would be to just hand it to a noob like me :)

it has a really cool look for what happened and a story to go with it. its not a mistake. its just a journey for a different taste/ style of knife.

Thanks guys!

Ric, hopefully this pic will attach

IMAG0177.jpg

Mathew, shoot me a pm, we could probably work something out, I'd be happy to help out a fellow newbie

I think that would make a cool art piece.

ron

I'm not sure it's dead :ph34r: ...looks pretty neat, actually. Find some super-gnarly looking handle wood, and finish it out!

Heck yea, I'd finish that baby out! That deep etch is very sexy and gives it the look of an old relic. I can picture some mysterious, magical tribe of man, in an age long past, working tirelessly under the full moon to bring that blade to life. A tarnished bronze guard and pommel accents with a wonderfully bit of Bog Oak for the handle....

Maybe even dip the blade in a bit of ferric with some copper in it to give the blade a hint of copper in the hollows.....

Oh, yea. I'm thinking there is a good story behind that knife's creation!

very cool - has it been hardened?

I was wondering the same thing, if it is hardened, finish it.... :)

I left a cable damascus blade in the etchant for 3 days once, lovely texture but not a lot of solid blade left. Your's can be salvaged.

Looks really nice, would make quite an art piece (especially if there is enough meat left for an edge).

if nothing else if is a great example for explaining the structure of pattern welded blades.

Keep it (unless someone wants to buy it at the right price ;) )

:D It's never a mistake until you can't fix it. It may make a great smaller blade.

Gary

I am going to be different and say don't finish it. Keep it that way as a reminder to yourself! I have a huge collection of spectacular failures to remind me not to make the same mistake twice.

The good thing is that you made that pattern before so your next one should be better!

It has gorgeous wood-grain structure, and I bet precisely that can be it's selling point.

+1 for bog oak suggestion for a handle.

God, I love what I do. Zeb, I'm with Gary. See what you can do with it. If it screws up entirely I will send up a duplicate order of the 1095 and 15N20 and you can have another go at it.

If it does look real cool after you get done with it. I may send it up and have you make me one! :D

Aldo

I think a little clean up and it will be a nice knife. When I look at a damascus knife I want to look at it with my fingers.

Thanks everyone! Tonight I worked a bit on it's replacement, I'm still up in the air about what to do with this one, I'm really thinking of finishing it out. I took some pics and video of making up the replacement billet from more of Aldo's 1095 and 15n20. Man I'm worn out, making a feathered w pattern takes some time, but I think I got a better pattern from this one, as it didn't get canted when I was drawing it out after feathering it. I took some more time to make sure it didn't happen. Sometimes the knife gods try to get you pointed in the right direction by messing other things up, you just have to listen, and not give up as sometimes mistakes really aren't, they're just someone trying to tell you to do it better next time :)

Zeb

Here's a pic of the finished billet.

IMG_0144.jpg

Now just to forge it into something

Zeb

Looking good!

Aye, that is a beautiful piece of steel you have there... don't forget about it this time.... ;)

Thanks guys! George, I ain't gonna promise anything, but I'll try not to forget about it :)

I got it forged up and starting to grind it. I wanted to etch it to see where the pattern is before I plan out grind lines. Here's a couple pics

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

I've got some nice Ash burl coming for it, first time I've payed for handle material, hopefully I can do it justice

Zeb

Oh, my! That is really beautiful!

Nice work Zeb, shame about the first one, but seems like you have the right attitude about it.