Direct reduction in a crucible?

ZebDeming

Hi.

Interesting project you have there :lol:

It looks quite slippery... it also could be Wustite + traped iron

(surface of pits are quite bubbly and sharp...cast should be bit more smooth and round )

Hows the surface after grid, nice and even iron like or dose it has lots of black stuff in it?( slag inclusions )

Niko

That's kinda what I thought as well, Alan.

Niko, after grinding it's still black, it never really brightens up, kinda leads me to think that it's slag with trapped iron bits.

Either way, i'm gonna rebuild my furnace and try again. The oil furnace is a sooty thing which makes me think that the atmosphere in it may contain alot of carbon by it's nature. I'm gonna get a proper crucible or 2 as well, before I try it again.

Zeb

It didn't look sparky enough for cast imho.

I feel you are right about it being a lot of slag, and a little iron.

I can pick up just about any non-glass looking piece of slag from my good "possible recook one day pile", and get that same spark look.

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

Posting before sufficient coffee strikes again! :rolleyes:

Niko and Mark are totally correct. I've gotten that with direct reduction attempts as well. Last time we powdered some magnetite, added charcoal and glass, and baked for a few hours, to find we'd only re-sintered the powder. :(

Remember, bloomery smelting = two days of hard work, crucible smelting = two beers and you've got metal to play with :D

You're fudging your data. Last time I saw you do this, it took a lot more than two beers. ;)

Edited by Lee Sauder

You're fudging your data. Last time I saw you do this, it took a lot more than two beers. ;)

Hahaha!

Reading all this makes me want to get into making my own steel. But somehow, people end up giving me old tools, I just landed 10lbs of very large allen keys. some bout 3/4 inch size.

That and I have another few pounds (over 10) of random tool steel. plus a boatload of old files.

I have enough to keep me pumpin knives out for another year (doesnt help i constantly get grade 60 plus rebar dropped off at my house by random folks.

I love getting the word out, lots of metal comes in. Not all is good, some g40 rebar, but i can use that for hilts.

back on topic.

Could i use an old small kiln for smelting? or would i have to build my own?

"Pour Bien Desirer"

Alpha Tester for "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare"

Mark, thanks for that bit of info about your slag sparking, it confirms my thinking that this is just slag. But I done better than I did the first time, as they say, third time's a charm, we'll see :)

Alan, no problem at all, everybody at work knows the same thing, don't bother me before I get my coffee, things are more likey to get sideways unless I have my coffee in the morning too :)

Lee, you've brought up a very important step that I left out, I always forget something and this time I forgot to drink, dang, not much of beer person, do you reckon that Jagermeister would suffice?? :D

Eric, I love it when I find random, possible blademaking steel :) As to your kiln, I would guess it all depends on how hot it got, IIRC alot of the older electric kilns didn't get super hot, but if you have the kiln, it would be a very simple matter to build a blown propane burner for it, depending on the insulation in the kiln, I'd think that you'd definatly be able to get it hot enough.

Jeff, how big have your crucible smelts been? I'm thinking that maybe I'm using too small of a crucible and maybe I need to start off with a bit more ore?

Thanks

Zeb

Yea, i meant using the small kiln as a 'base' to use propane, you answered my query.

I actually went on a search here on base. I found several hundred pounds of scrap tool steel.

I was absolutely estatic when i found it all.

I went back, and looked for more, opened this old drawer in a retired metal shop.

holy crap, so much more metal.

i feel almost blessed :D

"Pour Bien Desirer"

Alpha Tester for "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare"

• 3 weeks later...

Got me about 40 pounds of some taconite pellets, gonna give this another try with some different ore, after seeing the results from the hammer in, using taconite, I decided to give it a try myself

IMAG0225.jpg

Wish me luck, it's shaping up to be a busy week

Zeb

SWEET!!!

Good luck, have big fun!

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)