Dave Stephens

1st Annual Arctic Fire Invitational Hammer In

poster.jpg

All --

I am pleased to announce this gathering of great and accomplished smiths at our workshops this summer.

Nearly all participants will be giving a demonstration or lecture, which will be webcast live (and available for later viewing via an archive on the forum.)

As we get closer to the event we will be posting demo/lecture topics, schedules and instructions on how to sign up to view these live webcasts. There is no charge for viewing the webcast or participanting in the Q&A sessions via Skype.

I have a very talented production director that will be coordinating the filming and broadcast of the event, with profesional camera and audio, so the quality of the webcasts and therefore the knowledge exchange, should be very good.

Shane and I are both excited and honored to be hosting these guys at our homes and forges. We were pretty psyched when everyone agreed to travel to the frozen North to attend.

More when the event draws nearer.

Cheers!

Dave

PS -- Many thanks to David Delagardelle for very generously creating the beautiful graphic announcement that begins this announcement!

I'm really looking forward to watching this!

Yes! So much knowledge and experience and all around outstanding people. I can't wait!

I am happy you're planning on having the footage available later, I'll be outdoors with my Scouts that whole week. Thanks for sharing!

Holy short notice, Batman! :o

Wish I could make it, that's a great lineup. B)

Edited to add: D'oh! I see it's a web-only thing now. :wacko: I should never post before coffee...

Edited by Alan Longmire

This is awesome. Thanks for putting this together and taking the time to web cast it!

Thank you sir.....your continued contributions to the bladesmithing community are both inspiring and humbling...may we all learn from your example

Daniel

Wow! All star cast to say the least..

Love this whole concept of doing this. Great grouping of talent. I know I will be watching.

Wow what a line up! I'm glad you will be sharing the footage online. :D

Edited by J. Helmes

This is going to be great...no, this is going to be exceptionally great. Amazing.

Dave, many thanks to you, your production crew, and the masters attending.

I'll be watching,

-Art

Thanks guys. The event should be epic. I wish we could host the whole forum, but my wife would probably object to 5000+ rough bladesmith types camping on the back lawn.

In the next few days I'm going to be posting an honest-to-God preview video of the event, just like for an upcoming movie. The production guy just showed me the rough cut. It's really cool.

I'll post a link to the video as soon as we have permission from all the guys to use photos of their blades in the preview.

Cheers!

--Dave

Sounds very exciting. I am really looking forward to the videos you are going to produce.

Niels.

I can't wait! That'll be dangerous, though. Once I have a taste of what the event is to be like, I'll be frowning at the calendar until the end of June :lol:

John

wow.... Just caught wind of this... Can't wait!

Thank you Dave, as a fellow Alaskan I have been watching your contributions for a while now, have also been following Jake and some for the others for some time as well, I understand also the logistics and hassle involved with trying to put together something up here. outstanding work and many many Thanks for taking the time and all the effort required to put this together.

Thank you

Dan

Very cool!

All:

LOTS OF UPDATES. . .

I have added the event and the preliminary schedule of presentation to the calendar. Here it is:

(Please note: Times are listed in the Alaska Standard Time Zone. For reference, AST is -4 from EST . . . so 12PM in New York = 8AM in Alaska).

June 26th

10AM -- Opening event. Don Fogg: Hand Finishing Techniques

12PM – Dave Stephens: Variations on Crushed W Star/Flame Patterns

2PM – Michael Pikula: Sword Fitting Techniques

3PM – 6PM: Open Forge

June 27th

10AM – Peter Johnsson: Midieval Sword Makers the Functional, Aesthetic, and Symbolic

12PM – David Delagardelle: Digital Sword Design and Sword Photography Techniques

2PM – Jake Powning: Carving Techniques

3PM – 5PM: Open Forge

BREAKING NEWS!

In addition to the live broadcast events, we will be broadcasting recorded presentations made by other forum members created just for Arctic Fire. So far the presenters are:

JD Smith

J. Arthur Loose

Jim Austin

Jim Kelso

Petr Florianek

We will be posting titles and broadcast times for these presentations soon.

*** The actual web address to which you will go to view these events will be published shortly as well.

*** Also, we will be doing a live test broadcast from my shop within the next 10 days or so. If possible I'd like as many people from the forum to watch it and provide us with feedback on video quality, sound quality, etc. I'll be demonstrating the basic process of forge welding a billet of damascus (since that is often a subject on which new members ask questions, I thought it would be handy to have a video in the archives of the process). I will post an announcement when this test broadcast is finally scheduled.

*** If any member would like to record a brief salutation saying hi, or showing off a new piece of work, please record a video, upload it to youtube and send me a PM. Please keep it to a couple of minutes (no more than 5). We'll include it in the broadcast! If you're youtube challenged, you can also record something, throw it on a thumbdrive and mail it to me. Send me a PM for the address. If you do send us the video on thumbdrive, let me know in advance because you'll have to print and sign a release form that gives us the legal right to broadcast your stuff.

*** Finally: No promises on this, but we are going to try to have a Skype Q&A session set up such that if you have a question you'd like to ask one of our awesome presenters you can do so via video chat. The Q&A, as well as your live video question would be broadcast. (The reason this may or may not happen deals with the rights to broadcast someone in the absence of a release form . . . we'll get back to you on this.)

This is shaping up to be a very exciting event. Please be sure to share with others. We can have up to 2500 viewers on the webcast!

Cheers!

Dave

Hey! This looks great! Also, I was able to pop over to that Ustream link and checked on some other working feeds and was able to see all on my Ipad (must not be Flash based). Dunno if the knifemaking will be more exciting than the hummingbird sitting in her nest, but i bet it will.

Dan

This is gonna be so great. Iirc, ustream should allow questions to be asked during the stream, text only, like a chat function.

Is this gonna be recorded for later viewing?

Zeb

Zeb,

Yes, we will record all events and they will be placed in a special archive on the forum for viewing.

--Dave