Dave Stephens

1st Annual Arctic Fire Invitational Hammer In

Alan --

No problem.

You should try, at least, to tune in to the live forging competition on the 28th. It's pretty late in the evening your time (10PM EST).

Peter, Shane and I were discussing it last night. I have a feeling people are going to be seeing some pretty non-typical designs for RR spike knives come out of this one. It should be fun to watch.

--Dave

Having beer with Don in Seattle... :)

Sorry if this has been covered before but is there a chance to see these outside of the live broadcast? I'm at work all day and I'm tempted to call in sick to see this. :wacko:

Wow! This is the best thing to happen between two slices of pattern weld since butter! I look up to all these smiths and I can't thank Dave enough for making this happen!!

Oh my god guys. I am so sorry I didn't have a camera recording the discussion over drinks before dinner tonight. I would have loved for all of you to listen in. Deep bladesmithing philosophy, amazing technical exchange, funny stories, truly (not exaggerating) moving insights into the craft . . . it truly doesn't get better than this.

Starting tomorrow we're going to at least start recording these informal discussions. I think they are better than the formal presentations will be.

All the guys are here: Don, Peter, Jake, Michael, David, Jul. This is truly epic.

The real fun starts tomorrow.

The weather sucks, but the company is phenomenal and the forge is hot and the beer is cold.

Okay, I must to bed as the day starts early tomorrow.

Cheers!

--Dave

Sorry if this has been covered before but is there a chance to see these outside of the live broadcast? I'm at work all day and I'm tempted to call in sick to see this. :wacko:

no worries. There will indeed be recorded versions available.

Someon please say something as to what everyone's doing!!

It's 7AM here, and the wife and I are cooking breakfast before sleepy (hungover?) bladesmiths shuffle from their bedrooms.

First broadcast is at 9AM AST (1PM EST). Don is presenting, so don't miss it!

--Dave

DUH, messed up the time zone sorry Dave!!! I saw the open forge recorded videos there and thought it was live :D Enjoy breakfast!

Updated titles for Peter Johnsson's presentations (DO NOT MISS THESE).

Today: Paradoxes of Sword Design: Principles for its Functional Properties

Tomorrow: Secret Seal of the Sword Smith: A Theory on Medieval Sword Aesthetics

These two lectures are expanded and enhanced versions of the ground breaking lecture he gave at Ashokan last year.

They are both on at 5PM Alaska Time (9PM EST).

Must run. More soon!

--Dave

http://www.arcticfire2012.com/live-broadcast

I'll be getting nothing done for the next two days, starting ( I think ? ) in half an hour, CET time :D

I literally can't wait, can't thank you guys enough for sharing your knowledge...

I cant wait! I have drinks, snacks, notebooks, sketchbooks, modeling clay, everything I could possibly need

Crap, I have nothing I need :)

Must send wife to get snacks and energy drinks, find notebook and pencil...

man I wish I could take the time to sit and watch this live... but I must make a living. Any chance of these being packaged as a DVD for purchase? Seems like a good fund raising opportunity and I would love to watch on a TV instead of figuring a way to get comfortable in front of my computer.

Don just finished his presentation. It went great!

Jim Kelso's video is playing on the channel now.

--Dave

just wondering, am I the only one that is seeing this, Jim's video skipped twice, then stopped, then the arctic fire emblem came on, then the channel went off line, is this only me?

EDIT: I keep refreshing the page, and all Im getting is a pre recorded segment of some rr spike forging

Edited by Dillon M.

just wondering, am I the only one that is seeing this, Jim's video skipped twice, then stopped, then the arctic fire emblem came on, then the channel went off line, is this only me?

EDIT: I keep refreshing the page, and all Im getting is a pre recorded segment of some rr spike forging

Same here.

I'm not sure if I saw the whole thing or not, the video was playing the slideshow when the cat helpfully decided to throw up in the corner of the room, I got back and the screen was blank.

I think it ran about 15 minutes up to that point ?

yep, thats exactly what I saw Sid

EDIT: its back up now, i missed all but the first 15 minutes of Jim's video,

Edited by Dillon M.

Sam had some moves man!

We're breaking for lunch. B

Don't miss Jake's presentation at 1PM AST/ 5PM EST!

--Dave

The U stream app on my phone is working great. Man, I'm gonna get fired, I'm upside down under the dash of a Chevy, changing a temp door actuator, with my phone proped up under here with me. It'll be worth it, cause I now know Sam's secret to forging, I always knew I was using the wrong kind of hammer :)

Zeb

This is wicked! I should have taken the day off work to watch it... :(

thanks you guys for doing this all and sharing! :lol: