Sign in to follow this  
Troy Christianson

File this under skinner

I forged this skinner from a chunk of file that I found in the bottom of my annealing bin! I bought the vermiculite four years ago. I can't for the life of me remember when I put that file in there but anyways, this is what I made. OAL: 9.5 inches. Blade 5". Handle 4.5" Copper and brass make up the bolsters and pins. I used some eucalyptus scales that Bruce Norris sent me along with his KITH Sica blade. When his knife arrived I lifted the box and wondered why the box was so heavy. Upon opening I found out why. Bruce sent about a cord of eucalyptus wood along with his excellent knife. These scales are probably rate a "5" on a scale of 1 to 10. I am saving the really nice ones for later :D . p.s. I used Bruce's knife in battle today against some invasive buckthorn scrub. The poor foliage didn't know what hit it!

eucalyptusknife005.jpg

Dang, that is a mighty fine skinner! I love the file pattern left on it!

A fine skinner all the way around. Love the use materials.

Cool!

I like the bolster texture and the smooth filed groove toward the rear of it. Nice contrast!

--Dave

If that is a 5 out of 10 I can't wait to see the 10. Nice job Troy I love the blade profile!!!

Kip

I like that one, also. I am a sucker for copper!

it looks great, and I always love to see a working knife made from an old file. Just good use of materials.

kc

Great skinner Troy!

It is nice to see some of this wood actually getting used instead of just sitting in a drawer, gathering dust. Just the inspiration I need this morning to get out to the shop and... Groan. Clean it.

~Bruce~

Wow, i like overall, but the details in self are great,with your permission I copy that profile.

Saludos desde Mexico

Perfect tool for it's intended purpose.

I think this is one of the nicest file knives i have seen.

Bob

That looks really good! And like everyone else, the bolsters really stand out to me.

Very nice.

I, too, am a fool for copper.

Good work.