need some information on military knifes

I have a major question for everyone. It’s there any requirements for a blade for the military. I’m asking because I have a USA soldier who wants one but I wanted to find if there were any requirements. And I can’t get a straight answer from my local military offices. So I figured I’d try here. So is there any other than it has to be all terrain???

From my experience, I have never had any issues with requirements as long as you abide by the necessary regulations of possession and storage. I have had Ka-bars, SOGs, Gerbers, Smith & Wessons, knives I have made myself, and as long as I have been responsible with carrying them, I have never had a problem. If there is some requirement related to length, edge type, weight, etc, I do not know what it is.

This is just my experience, and if anyone else has a better answer, please share.

John

A lot of times it will depend on the unit they are in and there units SOP. The guys in the combat infantry units that have to get down and dirty are given the freedom to carrie what they need to carrie out the task at hand. Less combat specific troops state side have to follow uniform regulations. That means military issue only. Best thing for you to do is ask the person that it is for what they want.

Kip

It varies from unit to unit and commander to commander. Some are "knife friendly" and others are not. As John and Kip have mentioned you should check with the soldier you are making the knife for. I carried everything from a bayonet to a machete so what he wants may also depend upon his particular needs.

When I was in there was something in the UCMJ concerning knives. I didn't act stupid with mine so I never had a problem. When I was overseas there was something in the SOFA concerning knives. Ditto. There was also a first shirt in one unit I was assigned to who did give others in the unit grief about their knives (many less conspicuous and shorter blades than mine) but I never had a problem. You likely won't get a straight answer because there is a bit of discretion left to the command concerning stuff like this. If you specifically ask what the UCMJ says concerning knives (length, serrations, etc) you may get a better answer but it still won't be complete.

Even if his current unit has no problems with something that doesn't mean another unit he may transfer to won't.

I'd get specifics from him what he wanted and caution* him that you aren't responsible if it gets him in trouble in some way.

ron

* the caution may or may not be needed depending on how good of a friend he is.

I'm only aware of regs that apply in garrison, and much of that is up to the chain of command. If in the field or deployed it's much looser. I never had a problem anywhere, and I carried some big knives.

If I remember right when I was in the Airforce we were not allowed to carry anything with serrations. But that is the Airforce could be different for your guy.

I'd find out if he wants a an good EDC or if this is something for his field gear. If its EDC and he'll be wearing it with his ACUs, you wouldn't want it to hang below the bottom of the ACU top. If it did, it wouldn't comply with the uniform wear policies. If with his field gear, then no problem. Most of us(at least in my unit) carry some sort of knife with our LCV when in the field, if not two or three. Then again we are known as the Bowie Brigade; where field grade officers/NCOs are authorized to wear a serialized Bowie with their ACU at all times.

All times that is unless we go to a post or location where the higher HQ commander directs otherwise. Commanders always have the discretion to go stricter than policy.

As for legal issues; when we were shipping out of Iraq, a few of our guys had to leave behind some knives because the blade exceeded what was allowed by the customs inspectors. I don't remember the exact length though, sorry. Have him check into it.

As for whats useful, I prefer about a 4 to 5 inch blade, with a fairly thick clip point, moderately thick stock with a small guard, and mand made handle. I've found overall length is best if kept under 10". This fits on my gear easily, draws easily, is durable, doesn't draw alot of attention, and is useful for most everything; prying, cutting, stabbing, poking, etc. I've never had to use it in close combat, nor am I experienced at fighting with a blade. For a tool though, this is what I'd recommend.

I'd suggest when you get an ideal of what you wan't to do, work up a wood model and have him check it out.