Sign in to follow this  
jonas.j.holmberg

Cross culture?

Hi! This is a piece I`ve recently finished. The handle is carved out of raindeer antler with inspiration from Alphonse Mucha, a Chezch ( is that spelled right?) art novue artist wich I "discoverd" at a visit to Prauge last year. It is the first time I carve antler but it won´t be the last.

The tsuba-style guard is made out of copper and inspired of all the beautiful stuff I´ve seen on this forum.

The blade was forged from 20C.

AOL is aproximatly 8,5".

Take care,

Jonas.

And here`s the other side...

... and the guard.

Really nice. That'll look cool when that slab of copper patinates a bit.

The usual spelling in English is "Czech", since our alphabet is woefully lacking in the more entertaining letters used by Slavic languages.

It's "art nouveau" btw ("new art" in French).  I really like Mucha!

Everybody seems to dislike my speelliing.  :(  No, seriously, it`s not easy to have full control of a foreign language. btw do they have any diffrent letters? They do have some combintiones of letters that I will never be able to pronounce. Any Slavs out there that coud help?

In Scandinavia though we have some extras, Å Ä Ö, I wonder if they can be seen on englishspeaking computers.

Jonas.

Being French, I'm particular on how foreigners use the language.  If you want to use a French word, spell it right.  Nothing wrong with not knowing the language, but if you choose to use it, you should use it right.

BTW, I say that in good spirit.  I'm not upset or anything - I take it as a way to improve world culture...  :laugh:

Tanks everyone! And I´ll try to improve my spelling.

Jonas.

P.S. My daughter Vanja say hi! to everyone D.S.

don't worry about it Jonas, my spelling is just about as bad as yours and this is my first language!  as long as we all understand each other; your posts are very intelegent and easy to comprehend.

I sometimes post on forge france, and though I am biligual in spoken french and did all my schooling in it.  my spelling is to a point where I have a really hard time communicating; plus france french is a very different dialect than acadian french.

don't worry about it too much it's good to have an international community here. Not Worthy

Yeah, I love the knife and the cool cross culture feeling it gives. Nice use of the copper. Spelling and the use of the proper words is cool if your good at that kind of thing. I'd spend more time making knives and leave the spelling problems alone.

I only speak and write one language and I'm told I do it fairly well. I still don't make myself understood very often.  :cool:

Keep making the knives, Jonas, and hug Vanja for us!

Brian

My odd smattering of languages I picked up as a kid in my polyglot, Slavic neighborhood. Naturally, it was all phonetic from listening, and much of it lost over the years through disuse.

Hej, Vanja!