Josh, I was thinking the exact same thing about how the "outie" edge wrap was the last development in the hand forging of the two-material axe. One thing that occured to me is the fact that they are using oil forges rather than solid fuel- this type of edge steeling (in my EXTREMELY limited experience) does not take as much jostling about as other methods.

I'm having a little difficulty with the internet down here in The Land That Time Forgot, but I will try and put up some pics of my method. Quick and easy, you would be able to knock out good lengths with only very basic tooling.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that another thing that ive noticed in my research - the prevailance of what I call "atmospheric forges" (burning coal gas, atomised oil, kerosene etc) going back all the way to the 19th C, perhaps longer. It kinda shoot down any of the fools who think gas forges aren't traditional.

the wrought iron production videos you can see on youtube, and the anchor making they are clearly burning " a hot air" of some kind. burnig solid fuel for very large work is simply impractical. can you imagine the shovelling coke on top of the work that weighs a tonne or more. also the size of the clinker?! a lot of the old mills were smelting onsite with coked coal so would be syphoning the coke gas off for furnaces.

I wonder how oil or diesel forges would work out with our contemporary economics. the furnaces that Chris Topp used to make were all kerosene. or agri diesel... not sure.

anyway- im building a brine quench to get the best out of the (en9) 1060 that is so easily available.

Im still looking for a viable source of En42j (1070) even looking at importing steel from the continent but it seem effin stupid.... importing a Japanese steel from Germany to make axes to sell to America and the rest of the world.... global market eh?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hank, Its so good to see that youre looking through my work, im sorry I didn't reply to you sooner, I hadn't seen your post. I hope your well!

Heres another one.

http://thenewhearth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/gogmagog-giant.html

This was a huge Felling axe I made for somebody, total weight with haft was over 8lbs.

I may share this one in show and tell. it was a biggun.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

you are doing some good stuff Josh , keep it up.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Alan- look how good i'm being! two in as many months! this time, it's a biggie

I will post this else where on the forum as well i think. its got a lot of pictures and too many of them squiggly word thingys.

http://thenewhearth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/massey-2cwt-with-slides-power-hammer.html