Sanding Sheets and Shop Rolls

Don Abbott

For all of my hand finishing needs from 220 to 2000, I have always purchased my sheets at Advance, AutoZone, or O'Reily Autoparts. I get the 3M Wet or Dry (black) in 9x11" sheets.

I am currently paying around $1.50 per sheet.

Any idea where I can find a better deal?

Is there another brand that performs as well or better than the 3M?

Also, I ususally split the sheets down to 1.5" strips, so I would be interested in finding a good shop roll in 220, 320, & 400. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Don

MSC Grainger or just about any industrial supply house will carry shop rolls. Just at a glance you can get from 40 to 600 grit in 50ft rolls for 20-50$ at MSC. Do a Google search and you'll probably do better... www.aaabrasives.com looks promising so does abrasives4sale.com... just Google Shop rolls

Edited by Bret

I use these shop rolls from Jantz. 50 yard rolls. They last me quite a while.

http://www.knifemaking.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=shop+roll

80 grit through 500 grit available, about $15 per roll.

Dvae

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

You might try these folks, I've good luck with them over the years. 100 paks of SC work out to .30 a sheet.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver