Raymond Richard

Meet Mister Wizard

Guess I've been working on this project for a couple weeks now and I'm still not 100% done with the bowie but I have been pretty excited about showing off the sheath so here it is. I still need to do some more hand rubbing on the blade and then I'll get it epoxied and sharpened. The bowie has a 9 1/2" W-5 blade. The usual wrought iron fittings and a curly maple handle. Its 14 1/2" overall.

I got the idea for the sheath after looking at "Its a Burl" website. There is a wood carving on the home page that caught my eye. I asked Mark if he could please send me the photo of the carving and he said the carvings were all over his business so he sent me around 10 different photo's of the various carvings. After studying the photo's for awhile I ended up wanting to do a composite of a couple different ones besides adding some of myself. At the same time doubt had crept into my head thinking I'd never be able to pull it off but I went ahead and gave it a try and I think it worked out. Thanks a lot Mark for the photo's.

IMG_4206.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

I like the whole package, pretty damn cool.

That's some amazing work both the knife and sheath.

Nice knife Ray that sheath is :blink: love it!

I thought the tiki sheaths were cool but this is awesome, nice wood, beautiful fittings. Nice all around package. Jim

:D I love it, Ray! How'd you do the beading on the guard?

Nice job.

:D I love it, Ray! How'd you do the beading on the guard?

Alan, The beading was done with a triangle file but I used the abrasive wheel in the photo to stair step the front of the guard before I filed it. Anyway I'm still working on the blade and I had the knife apart and took a close up of the fittings that I do individually. Maybe the picture will do a better job explaining what I did.

IMG_4214.JPG

thanks for the pics. I thought you must have used a punch at first, because the texture looked more like beads. Now that I see it better, it makes sense that you used a file.

great work.

kc