Here's my latest finished up.

Specs:

10 1/2" blade

5 1/4" handle

3/16" L6 steel

Figured American walnut and cypress laminated scales

3/16" steel pins

Flat ground with a secondary bevel, and sharpened swedge.

This blade will eat through a 2x4 like no ones business. This is the largest recurve I have done, it proved to be quite a challenge, but it was well worth it, in my opinion. I apologize for the smudges on the blade in the photographs. Should have cleaned it more thouroughly after some time in the woods with it earlier.

Thanks for looking,

Brandon

BIGRECURVE056.jpg

BIGRECURVE051.jpg

BIGRECURVE054.jpg

"A country boy can survive" - Hank Williams Jr.

Nice. Fierce!

Good lines. Good grind.

Only thing I would have done a bit different is to add a little more width (1/4" or so) to the ricasso. In other words, move the plunge cut forward a smidge. It looks like it is "crowding" the handle a bit.

Great work, man!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Pete,

I started with a 52" circular saw blade so I had plenty of width at my disposal. You're right on the money though, its 2 1/4" at its widest point and 2" at the most narrow point.

Dave,

I see and understand what you mean. I'll take that into account on the next one.

"A country boy can survive" - Hank Williams Jr.

Nice. Fierce!

Good lines. Good grind.

Only thing I would have done a bit different is to add a little more width (1/4" or so) to the ricasso. In other words, move the plunge cut forward a smidge. It looks like it is "crowding" the handle a bit.

Great work, man!

--Dave

Ha, this is funny :-)

This feature I found attractive with the design: the effective use of the blade steel, bringing the edge as close to the hilt as possible. With a big knife it can be good to be able to choke up on the large blade when you want to cut something in a more controlled way. "Whittling" seems like a word that does not fit a knife like this, but you could do some limited work like that if you get the edge close to your hand.

I would also love to see a similar knife with the edge bevel ground all the way up to the spine, not leaving a flat surface there.

-But that is just me I guess, being brain washed from looking at too many seaxes... ;-)