Sign in to follow this  
Bill Jones

SCA Pensic

I see we have a few SCA folks in here. Where do you guys camp. when I go to pensic I camp with Darkyard  A roman fighting army. we could have a little pensic hammer-in. Are any of the knife makers here SCA laurels?

I'm a manche, but I think my bladesmithing skills are up there enough not to be embarassed by most laurel smiths.

Yes, Society for Creative Anachronism.

in the middle kingdom there are no blade smithing laurel's. we do have a one for black smithing.

For the record, I don't consider the SCA a reenactment group.  More of a medieval theme club.  I kinda have mixed feelings about smithing in the SCA;  on one hand it's quite appreciated.  On another, there's a lot of misinfo & I get tired of arguing with insistent dilettantes.  I'm generally there for the drinking and the fighting anyway... and no, the fighting isn't really historically accurate either; but it's fun as Hel.  :)

But despite all that, I got a maunchey-thingy too, Al.  I'm an apprentice & squire to Master Tearloch the Profane of the Northern Army & Mtn Freehold.  Tearloch jokes a lot that I should be his master as far as the bladesmithing goes; but his polearm & helms are worth studying.

There is alleged to be some smelting that happens at Pennsic, but I haven't been around for any of it as of yet, since it seems to happen around the first week...