All,

I know several members are looking for anvils, and every smith I know wouldn't mind having one more.

I emailed Terry at Old World Anvils and asked if they could do a longer version of their 4x4 anvil. http://oldworldanvils.com/anvils/4x4.html

For $255 (shipped!) they will sell you a 12" long version. They can do a 16" version as well, but Terry explained that 12" is the maximum length that would still fit under his surface grinder to dress the face of the anvil. A 16" version would be dressed with his belt grinder. Also, the 16" version wouldn't fit in the flat rate box.

Anyway, this is a pretty good deal for those looking at a post anvil. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

You can email Terry at oldwordanvils@tds.net

--Dave

PS -- I have no affiliation with OWA.

Dang, Dave, now I really wish that I had looked into Old World Anvils before I got that unhardened block of steel that I bought for a cutler's anvil. I could have had a heat treated post anvil that weighs about the same for around $15 more than what I spent. That block is still better than what I had so I guess that I can't complain too much.

Doug

how much would you leave sticking out?

I'd say 4 to 6 inches sticking up would be fine. If it were me, I'd try to set it in a solid wood stump and use silicone caulk to seal the gaps, but concrete reinforced with a lot of fiber and wire might hold together too.

• 3 months later...

Im sorry but am I the only one that finds putting an anvil in a flat rate box to ship very funny? Purpose of a box it to protect the contents from damage, think the box would need protecting in this case :)

My 8X7X4" block of steel came wrapped in a box. I guess they needed something to slap the labels on. Though my anvil from Old World Anvils had the shipping labels taped to it.

It's sort of like when I opened a box about 26" long, 12-14" wide, and about 3-4" deep and all it contained were three pieces of 1/4X24" tubing and a lot of packing paper.

Doug

I believe Id make a stand with 4 pieces of heavy angle standing upright for an adjustable stand..You could make it height adjustable several ways..Ive been thinking about that for a while..We have plenty of anvils but Id like to have a post anvil..