Hydraulic press ?

Hello,

Im looking to get a press made up for some Pwelds and stock reduction, my wonder is would it be more cost effective to purchase say a harbor freight air/hydraulic press and modify it for forging or to go the home built route with a air/hydraulic bottle jack and some welded framework? Ive been pricing parts put and it looks like they would be about the same more or less price wise either route but I was wondering if anyone here had some input of which would be more practical to use.

Pat B

Hi Pat,

I built my air/hydraulic press from scratch.

Sometimes I wished I had bought a ready made one,

but most of the time I am happy with the features I designed myself.

Be sure you rig up a foot control and stops for the ram on the return stroke.

After using mine for 2 seasons I am now ready to build a genuine hydraulic press with 5 inch cylinders.

Good Luck

If you have any questions while you are building yours, you can P.M. me.

Steve

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=16302&view=findpost&p=151866&hl=&fromsearch=1"]

Edited by bronzetools

Thanks Steve, Ill check the link after work, the proxies here are for some reason blocking the link you supplied, Im trying to run on a budget around 1000$ and am thinking I should be able to get a pretty decent setup for that range, not spectacular, but decent for now. I teach metals and woods at the high school level so I have all the tools I would need to fabricate something, trick is getting the time to get the parts.

Here is the link about my press. I've been extremely pleased with it. I've used it some for welding but mostly for stock reduction; all the heavy moving.

As you'll see, I started with a factory press frame and built on to it.

Good building and let us see what you come up with.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19212&st=0&p=179089&fromsearch=1entry179089

:) That press has made a lot of steel over the years and has done a good job of it. If I were to build one it would have an "H" configuration with the dies slightly angled but that is merely a personal preferance.

Gary

dies slightly angled

Where were you this year? I was expecting to see you there again with another piece of edged Art.

From what I understand, Jim May built that press back in the mid-80's at his shop in Auxvasse. Not sure if Corbin had anything to do with actually building it, but I know that he and May were friends at that time. After Jim died, Corbin bought it from his widow and moved it to the forging shop he and Ron are using now.

Not sure what you mean about "angled" dies, but they have several sets of dies for it. I saw Ron use at least four different sets, and I think he may have had more than that.

Where were you this year? I was expecting to see you there again with another piece of edged Art.

Not sure what you mean about "angled" dies, but they have several sets of dies for it. I saw Ron use at least four different sets, and I think he may have had more than that.

I wanted to be there but other commitments kept me away.

My flat dies are set 45 degrees to the frame so that they can be used either lengthwise or sideways.

Gary