bauernwehr w/ hamon

Hello Everyone,

this will also be part of my kith contribution. However, I wanted to post it here so more people would see it.

This is monosteel low mang 1075. The nagel is of the same.

water buffalo horn and nickel silver.

11" blade.

I was able to get the fit of the scales to work out well on this one. I have learned how to use the milling machine to surface and make stock really flat and true before I start working with it. I have also gotten a lot better with files, and a lot of the junctions were done with a combo of milling flat and then filing to make any minor adjustments (i.e., to take into account the taper in the tang).

Oh yeah - there was a bright piece of blue tape behind the knife I forgot to move, so I edited it out digitally. Sort of.

I hope y'all like this one. I had a lot of fun making it. The hamon is really nice in person.

as always, comments are encouraged. Besides you guys, the only people that see this are wife and pets (my pets are people - sort of).

thanks for looking.

Kevin

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

that's just great, Kevin. it's been a pleasure watching your work evolve over these past few years - you've been on a fairly steep learning curve, with each new piece pushing your abilities in one direction or another, but this looks like the one where everything you've learned hangs together. i particularly like the shaping of the handle which looks natural yet designed - you've approached the piece as a single entity, as opposed to a blade and then a handle, and that unity clearly shows.

my one (tiny) criticism would be that the nagel looks a bit long and flat to my eye. i don't know enough about these blades, but i think it would look more fitting if it were about half the length, and more curved and sculpted, but that's just personal aesthetics. how is the nagel attached?

great job.

thanks guys,

Jake - you are right, about the nagel. I was thinking as I took the pics that I wish I had curved it a bit. But, I couldn't think of a way to do it that wouldn't stress the blade/handle too much. I will definitely curve the next one...

kc

I was gonna echo Jake on the Nagel, but I see there's no need to. ;)

I will, however, echo him on everything else. You're bringin' it all to the party, man! :lol:

Jake - this is the second nagel I made for this knife. The first one was curved and smaller, but the post was too small. I ground too much off of it. The thing is attached by a 1/4" round post that swells to thicker just under the leaf, and sticks all the way through both scales and the blade. The opposite side is peened down tight.

I have guys working to fix a leak and remodel our bathroom. So, I finished the carving on this nagel, and was testing the post for fit before heating it to bend it. I got distracted, and just absentmindely started peeing the post on the back side. By the time I realized I was supposed to have curved it, it was already stuck. I would have had to grind a good bit off of the bolster to get it off. So, this mistake is immortalized in steel for all time.

Thought you would like to know the real story. Thanks for pointing out the esthetic clash, though. I worked in a dedicated way on this knife for a full week when you add all of the hours up (about 40 hours), and 10 minutes of thinking of something else led to a necessary, "design change."

Alan - similarly, thanks for the kind words and for pointing out the potential for improvement. JD and I once had a series of fun emails around the topic of people being too kind when there were things that the person who posted the knife probably would like to know so they could fix them next time. I remember because he used a phrase I haven't heard since I lived in Texas, "they are shinin' you on, man!". Thanks for not.

Next is one or two through-tangs, then back to a sword.

take care,

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

thanks for the compliment, Troy. Now, I have to decide what to make next.

kc

I don't think it going to matter what you make to go with it Kevin that knife is superb. It really makes KITH much more fun when you have a shot at a piece of work like that. Great job

Kip