Damascus faced anvil?

I wonder if this has ever been done. Got some big blocks that would make a neat anvil, and just happen to be in a position to have the stuff to do this maybe.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you did that, you would probably cause two things simultaneously, I would hate you for life, and you would become my biggest hero. Sounds like a win/win. :P

But joking aside, I've never seen anything other than miniatures done in patternwelded steel. That would be beyond so many levels of awesomeness if you did it. B)

Eagleeyeforge.com

EagleEye_transparent_SM.png

I won't say I have a way to heat treat it but I will say I have a way to get it up to heat treating temperature! Figuring out what to quench it with is your problem, although I do have cast iron claw foot tub out back somewhere :D

Matt

How big and anvil are we talking about here?

If its just the face then I think a twisted bar in in order.

Maybe a lost foam steel casting with a few staples and holes to cast the damascus in place as the face?

Ric

Edited by Richard Furrer

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

A post anvil would probably be possible.

If I made a custom coil on my induction forge I could probably heat the face of an existing 4x4" post anvil to welding temp, while a plate of PW was in the forge. I don't know if just liberally wire brushing and fluxing after the heat on the anvil face would be enough to control the oxidation to get a clean weld . . . hmm. Intruiging.

It would be a two man job, for sure.

Okay Sam. Fly up to Anchorage and let's work on this. . . sounds like a great way to waste a weekend.

Grins,

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

just do a dry weld, then you'd only have to heat up one object

alway wondered if my pw anvils have layered steel face.. didn't have the heart to dip them in ferric chloride ^_^

how bout a sideways jellyroll ontop... sorta hypnotizing when lookin at the anvil :P

I wonder if this has ever been done. Got some big blocks that would make a neat anvil, and just happen to be in a position to have the stuff to do this maybe.

DO IT OR I'M TURNING YOUR PICTURE TO THE WALL!

:P

Do it! Nearly as cool as a bacon faced anvil!

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

You know my opinion on this Sam, I'm sure of it. I second the dry welding suggestion. For something this important I'd say to have the top of the body and the face plate Blanchard ground too "just to be safe". If you get to do this, and you're anywhere near me, let me know. If I can make it I'd love to watch or help! :)

-d

I just happened to score some BIG blocks of steel, perfect for a block anvil. They are 2" thick 8" wide by 16" long, 4 of them.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Holy crap I want vids and lots of photos!!!

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

I am thinking, make a horn and heel (in the double horn style which I like), then MIG weld them onto the body, then make up the damascus plate that overlaps both mig weld seams onto the horn and heel by 1" or so then dry weld.

John, you and Owen got the stuffs!!! DO IT, you know it could only take one evening :D

Got the horn and heel rough forged tonight from 2" square, will give them a grind and dress tomorrow evening, gwt everything all lined up. Got to order some 1084 and 15n20 from Aldo though for the face billet.

Oh don't do this to me Sam. Mikey need photos.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Hey Sam if you need any ideas on heat treating let me know. I've seen Chuck Robinson's setup that he used to heattreat his infamous and incredible post anvils.

trying to snap some photos when I can. Matt, i think I got HT figured out it's getting the whole top which is about 10" from tip to tip up to welding heat that will be the trick.

I have Chuck's video showing his setup for heat treating.

Ha well hurry up already. I wouldn't mind a SS PW anvil to go with my SS hammer. Not that I could afford it at this time but one can dream lol.

Edited by Matthew Lomas

What are you up to now Sam? I figured being with Kerry and the crew would get you going.Give me a call. I have a few ideas.I just got a load of L-6.(Big L-6)It might make it interesting. :D