Dan O'Connor

Tire/Japanese Spring Power Hammer Build

Hey this builds great, man you rock for doing this!

as far as the feet I'm with Greg on making a plate facing the inside of the cement pad, and as far as the bolts go if they start to loosen up just tack them in place with the welder with out having to weld the whole thing together...

Also I was woundering if the feet go right on the Pad or is there something to space it out? On the old picture you posted there looks like there is a rubber mat between the two. Over time vibration can add up stressing everything out! Just giving you one more thing to think about if you havent already thought of it ^_^

best of luck! and look forward to seeing more!

.. it'll be easy to modify

about the feet.. for a powerhammer base it is good to cast the threaded rod in the cement base... with a sort of T at the bottom of the long bolt in the base... so you have the rod sticking up out of the base in four corners... then you lower the hammer down over the threaded rod ends and put nuts on them..

G

Hehe! I know. But then I would have to know where the holes where gonna be.

Maybe I should have built the frame before I poured the concrete? :lol:

However, I never question the urge to pour concrete.

The welded flange idea sounds like it will work. Thanks

A small investment in corded drills will go along way in reducing labor and prevent your batteries from crapping out early. They can bring that fresh battery cut to the job, but never weaken. Since I sold my welder I have been drilling a lot. Some inexpensive Harbor freight drills are out performing my expensive cordless in a big way.

I always had a corded drill as back up, but I put it into storage when we moved. Turns out It would have been better to take them with me...

I am following your hammer build with interest...

Patrick

Patrick,

I agree. Everything I could I drilled on my drill press. I do have a heavy duty Bosch corded drill. Maybe because it is longer and I didn't have it lined up well, every time the drill bit broke through even with very light pressure, it would hang up. Using a backer plate helped some. The drill is so powerful that with 1/2" and 3/4" bits it would either try to break my wrist, smack me upside the head or fling me off of a ladder. :o

For whatever reason the cordless would only occasionally hang up. And when it did it was easy to manage. You are right it is hard on the batteries and even with multiple ones charging sometimes I had to do something else while I waited. But it cut way down on the fear and mayhem factor. :unsure:

Patrick,

I agree. Everything I could I drilled on my drill press. I do have a heavy duty Bosch corded drill. Maybe because it is longer and I didn't have it lined up well, every time the drill bit broke through even with very light pressure, it would hang up. Using a backer plate helped some. The drill is so powerful that with 1/2" and 3/4" bits it would either try to break my wrist, smack me upside the head or fling me off of a ladder. :o

For whatever reason the cordless would only occasionally hang up. And when it did it was easy to manage. You are right it is hard on the batteries and even with multiple ones charging sometimes I had to do something else while I waited. But it cut way down on the fear and mayhem factor. :unsure:

This is looking great Dan! I had an older B&D drill that would do the same thing all the time, two handing it helped, but the risk of it snagging was still there. I do agree that you should try to weld it up sometime in the future. Would hate to have something happen to ya.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty funny when it is a cartoon character.

Your are right, not so funny for real. My wrist is still a little sore.

Looks great Dan, thanks for the album. I would get a base plate the entire footprint of the main frame, then bolt the frame to that and bolt that to the concrete, rubber pads inbetween.

Looks great Dan, thanks for the album. I would get a base plate the entire footprint of the main frame, then bolt the frame to that and bolt that to the concrete, rubber pads inbetween.

Great Idea there Sam.

How thick?

Ideally? 2". In reality? 1/4" would be OK, 1/2" better.

You could also just tie one side leg to the other side to keep them from "springing" apart and wanti g to push out the concrete

More progress

dsc_0111.jpg

dsc_0109.jpg

dsc_0103.jpg

dsc_0108.jpg

dsc_0123.jpg

img_1075.jpg

img_1087.jpg

dsc_0091.jpg

dsc_0127.jpg

More images here

Edited by Danocon

That's an ingenious shaft-polishing setup you have there. :)

• Like 1

YES

Glad you approve Sam. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

That's an ingenious shaft-polishing setup you have there. :)

Thanks Alan.

I had all sorts of replies pop into my head about a guy needing multiple ways to polish a shaft :o. But then I thought better of it. :D

Alan knows about polishing shafts, I mean hafts like tomahawk hafts......

I like how you solved the feet idea Dan nice job.

Thanks Alan.

I had all sorts of replies pop into my head about a guy needing multiple ways to polish a shaft :o. But then I thought better of it. :D

lol laugh.gif The hammer is coming together nicely. You have to do a vid when it is up and running.

Looks like you solved your problem about bolting the hammer to the foundation, was gonna chime in and say mine is epoxied down =P

It'd what was recommended to me by someone who works in metal building fabrication as a living, so I went for it.

I'd also done reading about anchoring heavy machinery and most of the ones I'd read suggested not using the wedging type *shrugs* i can't recall why.

No problems at all so far. Mine is a 50# little giant.

Edited by EdgarFigaro

Testing the tup guide after drilling some holes in it.

And here is a video of where I am at so far. Couple more weekends out to do it.

Here are a bunch of pictures if you want to wade though them

Edited by Danocon

Sweetness.

I am impressed. I have always liked this style of hammer. They look efficient for power to space and something one person can build with time and some skill. I probably couldn't, but one person with skill can!

thanks for showing the process. You are going at this process with an admirable attention to detail.

kc

Dan,

It all looks sound as of yet. I can't wait to see it run at your first annual hammer-in. Having seen a couple of this style hammer run I'm pretty impressed with the work output of speed vs sheer weight. They seem to be much more suited to working thin sections like um blades!

Slainte'

Denis

Thanks Kevin and Dennis.

I installed the tup in the guide yesterday and started making the connection pieces. The sheer weight of what it will have to move has given me pause. It is going to be real embarrassing if when I hit the foot pedal it just sits there. :(

Have faith and never underestimate physics. I'm not sure who said this but they were smarter than me, I'm almost certain.