Sign in to follow this  
jonathan creason

Looking for help in NC

I'm closing in on 1 year of knife forging, and I feel like I've got little to no improvements to show for it. I know 1 year isn't much in the grand scheme of things, and with the small amount of time I've got to dedicate right now I can't expect much but I would like to shorten the learning curve some. Is there anybody here in the NC area that wouldn't mind spending some time with a newbie like me and help me figure this stuff out. If any of you have seen the pics I've posted I'm sure you can tell I need help with pretty much every aspect of knife building.

Where are you located. The ABANA group has lots of members in NC. There seems to be a good amount of open hammer-ins, monthly.

http://www.abana.org/

Check it out, and see who is in your area. I know over in Winston Salem, they have an open forge thing every month at the fair-grounds.

Mark

I'm in the little town of Cleveland, Mark. It's in western Rowan County, so Winston wouldn't be hard for me at all. I know there's a chapter that meets in Mooresville too, but they've always been at bad times for me to attend.

Jon, I am teaching at the ABS school in Arkansas in September. They offer a scholarship all you need to do is apply. The

bunk house is affordable and you can eat at the bunk house. You would be surprised how much you learn under schooling. You gain a 10 year head start off your learning curve. I would love to spend time with you during these two weeks. I go for both weeks so I will be looking for you. Timothy Potier I have been following the progress two of the students at the school and they are growing by leaps and bounds. If I can help let me know.

Jon, I am teaching at the ABS school in Arkansas in September. They offer a scholarship all you need to do is apply. The

bunk house is affordable and you can eat at the bunk house. You would be surprised how much you learn under schooling. You gain a 10 year head start off your learning curve. I would love to spend time with you during these two weeks. I go for both weeks so I will be looking for you. Timothy Potier I have been following the progress two of the students at the school and they are growing by leaps and bounds. If I can help let me know.

I would love to do that, Timothy, but I'm just not at a point in my life where I can cut away for a couple of weeks like that. It's something I really hope to do sometime down the road, but there's just too much to take care of on the home front right now. I appreciate it, though.

There is a knifemaker's association in NC. Contact Chris at www.wilmontgrinders.com and he can give you more information.

Thanks Wayne. I know Chris from the NC knifemakers guild (is that what you're referring to?). I like the guild, but I learn much better with "hands on" sort of stuff. I've only been to a couple of meetings, and they both had great demos, but no hands on work.

If you can make it over to Waynesboro, they teach classes at the community college every so often. The NC guild should have info about that. That's about 2 - 2.5 hours west of you. You might even have the experience of meeting my friend Bill Wiggins if you go, which is an experience not to be missed. ;)

Been thinking about trying to do that, Alan. I know exactly where Waynesboro is. I went to college at WCU, about a half hour past there. I need to save up some pennies and enroll in a class.