PART 2! NEW!! student work

jdsmith02115

There's always one or two students who decide to take a slightly off road route. Will Vanaria is one such.

Will decided to make a damascus jeweler's saw frame. It is fully functional and a jewel in itself.

Will has built this from "Firestorm" pattern welded steel 1084, 15N20. He has hand turned an African Blackwood handle and fitted it with a sterling silver ferrule. All components of this tool are pattern welded steel.

On another note; This is the first project this year to be presented as "flawless", as in NO perceivable flaw to the naked eye! Very, thorough craftsmanship was exercised throughout; Congrats Will on a very successful project!

newstudentwork2012willvan 006.jpg

newstudentwork2012willvan 009.jpg

newstudentwork2012willvan 004.jpg

newstudentwork2012willvan 003.jpg

that's epic. now to make a damascus blade for it...

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

Man that's neat. Great job, Will.

Is it firestorm or straight twist? I don't see any W's in there. Maybe just not enough material ground away to reveal the W's. Looks great either way.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Man that's neat. Great job, Will.

Is it firestorm or straight twist? I don't see any W's in there. Maybe just not enough material ground away to reveal the W's. Looks great either way.

--Dave

That's it exactly Dave, but it is Firestorm.

Had to double take there :blink: That is both a novel idea and beautiful execution! Your students' work is astounding, and it really speaks for their instructor ;)

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

I must Say that is the most beautiful tool any jeweler could hope to use! I can see myself with that saw in hand flying though a piece of silver plate, cutting out an ornate pendant.

Tell Will he did an amazing job!

Men are just boys with bigger toys!

Thanks for all the wonderful words! I am really lucky to have had an opportunity to do something like this, and I plan on making more tools in the future! JD's an excellent teacher, and I am really glad I got into his class this semester.

I finished touching up the photos that I took of it for my senior theses proposal:

Saw-Websize (1).png

Saw-Websize (2).png

Saw-Websize (3).png

Edited by William Vanaria

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

-H.P Lovecraft

Very well done, Will!

Now, take these skills and make a blade (and don't forget to share it with us)!

-Dave

PS -- Welcome to the forum!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

I see you are a Lovecraft fan. Me too. Got any ideas for metalwork\bladesmithing inspired by his writing ?

Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims

Wow, that is very nice. I can see it as being the first of many..a planer, small hammer, etc., all tucked away in one of those ornate, artwork wood toolboxes which is lined in velvet, the tools just gleaming. Ivory nametags and...man, I'm getting carried away!

Wow, that is very nice. I can see it as being the first of many..a planer, small hammer, etc., all tucked away in one of those ornate, artwork wood toolboxes which is lined in velvet, the tools just gleaming. Ivory nametags and...man, I'm getting carried away!

He spoke to me of such a plan only today!!

I love it.

the use of damascus on a very ordinary tool has turned it into a quite extraordinary one .

just enough input of form to make it far from plain. It screams "made by hand" and "use me" and "cherish me"

I really love it.

forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

He spoke to me of such a plan only today!!

That's great! I can't claim the idea is mine though, I saw an antique tool chest with beautifully preserved tools on antiques roadshow; I seem to think it was valued at several thousand dollars. Just imagine a beautifully made toolchest, lots of little drawers, nooks and crannies, filled with exquisitely handmade damascus tools. Staggers the imagination. Make sure to keep us appraised of progress. And by the way, I do like the idea of having ivory nameplates for at least the major items. Well, guess silver would do (smile). Wonderful work, keep it up!

I see you are a Lovecraft fan. Me too. Got any ideas for metalwork\bladesmithing inspired by his writing ?

Funny you should mention that. I have a couple ideas in my sketchbook and about 6 inches left of my billet- I was entertaining the idea of a sickly black tendril pocket-knife.

That's great! I can't claim the idea is mine though, I saw an antique tool chest with beautifully preserved tools on antiques roadshow; I seem to think it was valued at several thousand dollars. Just imagine a beautifully made toolchest, lots of little drawers, nooks and crannies, filled with exquisitely handmade damascus tools. Staggers the imagination. Make sure to keep us appraised of progress. And by the way, I do like the idea of having ivory nameplates for at least the major items. Well, guess silver would do (smile). Wonderful work, keep it up!

Indeed! Though, I'm not really confident in my woodworking skills at the moment- so I'm going to make a lot of practice boxes this summer. One of which will be for the sawframe. (Kind of like the ones you see old calipers housed in, where the wood conforms to the tool.) I'll also need to do some research on what kind of wood I should use. I know poplar's good to store tools in since it's low in acidity, but I'm not really a fan of non-dark woods.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

-H.P Lovecraft