• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
JDWare

Bader B2 grinder help

6 posts in this topic

I have an older Bader B2 Grinder that I'd like to improve. I've heard that a new spring will help the tracking. To me the biggest difficulty is the tool arm. It is round on the end, and is inserted into a round hole - there are no guides to make sure it is aligned properly. So each time you change the arm, it's a little bit of a game to get it properly oriented. I'm thinking of a tool arm mounting like the new Baders or KMG's - that take a square tool arm. Has anyone done this modification? Or have any other tips, ideas or mods?

J

JDWARE KNIVES

A level and a square wouldnt get you square on bothends?

Engrave an index mark on both the arm and the receiver? A guy I know put a pair of centerpunch marks on his so he could line it up easier. Maybe bolt an indicator pointer on the receiver and scribe a line on the arm?

I had only ever seen a B2 and a Square Wheel before I saw my first KMG, thus my purchase of a KMG as soon as I could afford it. ;) Nothing wrong with either of those others, of course.

The demand for that spring kit dropped to zero for a long time. There has lately been a resurgence in interest from a couple of people. I do still have all the tooling to make them, but unless there is enough interest to sell at least a half dozen of them I cannot afford to stop regular work to produce them. It does not fix everything, every time, regarding the tracking of your Bader B-1 bench model grinder. It is, however, a serious improvement at has a good deal more tension on the belt if you want to set it up that way.

I have one interested party right now. PM me here if you are also interested. We will see.

I also use a 1" air cylinder as belt tension on one of my grinders. If you have shop air, it works a treat.

The demand for that spring kit dropped to zero for a long time. There has lately been a resurgence in interest from a couple of people. I do still have all the tooling to make them, but unless there is enough interest to sell at least a half dozen of them I cannot afford to stop regular work to produce them. It does not fix everything, every time, regarding the tracking of your Bader B-1 bench model grinder. It is, however, a serious improvement at has a good deal more tension on the belt if you want to set it up that way.

I have one interested party right now. PM me here if you are also interested. We will see.

I also use a 1" air cylinder as belt tension on one of my grinders. If you have shop air, it works a treat.

Howard would you mind elaborating on the cylinder set up. Where did you get it and what model is it? Is the control system for it something simple ie a pressure regulator and a ball valve? I saw a grinder set up with this many years ago at blade, I think it was the same show where I first met you and your dirty sculpture :P

Patrick B)