A Forging First (at least for me)

Gary Mulkey

I use a vertical propane forge and have gotten accustomed to lighting it with a propane plumber's torch. As I did so today, a large amount of yellow flames came out of the door as if I had lit a large amount of paper and put it in the forge to ignite the gas. :D I soon figured out that a pack rat had made a nest (which didn't last long) inside the forge.

Luckily the rat was long gone before I fired the forge. :rolleyes: I have eaten many wild meats since moving to the Ozarks but I'll pass on BBQ'ed rat.

Gary

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Two months ago I lit up my welding forge for the first time in awhile and had quite a few spiders come out. I'm still trying to come up with a name for that forge.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I found that if I left the door on my forge closed, rodents would move in, turn the insulation into nesting material, and set up home. The first time a flaming rat jumped out and landed in the slack tub was quite exciting. Now, I just leave the door open when not in use, it seems to do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Lit mine for the first time since the heart attack. Got a beautiful big orange ball. Checked the burner, poked a stick in, and had a tug o war with a BIG spider. Works good as new after kicking her and her nest out of it.