Sign in to follow this  
Doug Lester

Long sleeve shirts while welding

I was attempting to forge weld some wrought iron and I managed to get some hot flux down inside my glove on my tong hand. I realized that if I had a long sleeved shirt on that the cuff would have caught it. I'm glad that I stopped and put one on before I burned myself again because hot flux and scale went flying while I was attempting to get the weld to take.

Doug

wouldnt it just burn through the cuff anyway?

It might burn the cloth on the cuff but it would be held off the skin. Far better than hitting bare hide. Make sure it's a natural fiber shirt, not synthetic. Synthetic fibers will melt and stick to the skin. A welding jacket might not be out of line, which would be even better at catching flying hot flux and slag but on the hot side working around a forge.

Doug

I get old denim shirts and wear one over whatever I have on. Has to be older for me cuz I hate the stiffness. I have a couple thick Lapco shirts to that are nice too. Dont particularly care for welding shirts cuz they can be itchy, but I had a really nice Miller pigskin leather jacket that I loved. Looked great, was warm, but breathed a bit for the Tx heat, and weld burns hardly showed up. Rather cheap for what it was too, and like I said it was kinda stylish. Here's one to drool over. My link They also have one that only have leather sleeves and shoulders with the torso made of the same flame retardent material the welding shirts are made out of, but I went ahead and spent the extra cuz we had been in the middle of a bad winter that year. Didn't really regret it when it got hot either, but thats just me. Some might think it too much, but 50000 (j/k) welding burns later it still looked good enough to pass down for a hundred bucks after I had gotten injured and it was of no use anymore.

**EDIT** Link and text added

Edited by CEmory

Just an add on. This would probably be a case where a full face shield would have been in order. I was wearing safety glasses. It would have hurt like heck if I was struck on the cheek with that glob of flux and I would have ended up with a small crater burned in my face like the one that was burned at the base of my thumb. I imagine that the burn went kind of deep because, after the flesh cooled down, it didn't hurt. It may mean that it burned deep enough to kill the nerve endings. Just need to recognize that hot flux will be splattered all over when forge welding and act accordingly.

Doug

Well, let me say this, the problem may have been you were wearing a glove. If you didn't have a glove on, no flux would have ended up there. Ever seen Peter Ross forge weld? He doesn't wear gloves.

I welded for 10 years wearing tank tops and Patagonia shorts.

Yup. I'm an idiot ! I wore canvas "gaiters" with velcro just below my knee.

The only time I put on a glove was to pick up something super hot.Sometimes on a long weld with a MIG, I'd glove my left hand.With a stick I go until it's about three inch and zap the stub onto a new rod.Never a stub inside my shop. NEVER.

There is also no such thing as a worn out drill. Only those that need sharpening.

i dont wear gloves either, only when forging wrought iron chain, to put some heat off my knuckles.other than that, a long shirt isnt necessary, but some like to wear them, i only do when its cold out, since i forge outside. other than that i just wear jeans, white t-shirt, boots, and a leather apron when doing alot of forging or forge welding. i think the only time a glove would of helped was today, a hot bar i just cut, cut my first finger but cauterized it as well. not sure how it happened.so i think this just means gloves dont work for heavy forging, only for steel thats too warm and you dont want to use tongs.

i have some neat burns on both wrists from forging and welding with gloves on i hate gloves when i get a pare they last for everrrrrrrrrr :lol: unless there winter gloves then they might last a season

i did put on a set for some heavy cutting in a blind corner with the oxy set it was a good thing to i set the thumb on fire :rolleyes:

This thread is BORING

Mushrooms-300.jpg

Well last night I was doing some heavy cutting, and caught my long sleeve shirt and nearly my shoes on fire. It was pretty funny, till I realized i could probably get a nasty burn from it :lol: