Experimental Blooming

Mark Green

Hi Gang,

Well then, once the big rain finally got the hell out of here, I started prepping for a burn on Sat.

I was very interested to see what would come of combining my easy local brown ore, and my difficult, local Magnetite ore.

So, I sifted through my big pile of (high T/low Si), small magnetite rocks, picked out some of the best, and started crushing them up.

Pic1137.JPG

I had a good bit of the brown ore all roasted up and crushed, so, I mixed up 60 lbs 50/50.

Pic1136.JPG

I uncovered the stack, to start drying it out. We had some hard rain. The stack looks ok, but the plinth is very damp. I will get a fire going tomorrow, and dry it all out. Saturday looks great. Charcoal is all ready. Wish me luck.

Pic1140.JPG

My local magnetite, through a few experimental smelts done by myself, and Lee Sauders & Gang, and analysis by friend, seems to need additional slag material. It is high in T, and Al, and low in Si.

My local brown ore, is just about as nice as you can ask for. It's slag is nearly always, very pure, and runny. So, I, and others thought it may do well to mix the two, to see what we get.

The normal return from my brown ore is averaging around 30%+

The return from my magnetite smelts has been about 12%. And that material, on first smelt was not great to forge.

After smelting these magnetite blooms, and highly mag. slag a second time with additional silica, I was able to make some good material.

So we will see. I will continue the results here after the burn.

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

Hi Gang,

Just in from the bloom.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106800196895572422821/ExprimentalSmelt#

Pic1156.JPG

Pic1166.JPG

Just sparked them. A very mixed bag. Iron-1080, kinda the usual.

The test will be in the folding. :D

Edited by Mark Green

Mark Green

(cptn. Mal)

Looks good so far!

I did kind of expect the slag to be thick and not-runny given the Ti-rich magnetite, but it's good to see the brown ore got it kicked over. Congrats on a hard days' work!

I have a box of Peeps in the garage that have been there for nine years now. An experiment in preservatives, if you will. They still look fresh as the day they were made, and only slightly harder... :blink:

Have a beer, and here's hoping it consolidates as well as it looks like it will from the cut bloom! B)

Awesome! 1000 years from now when someone is examining your steel, they'll be stumped by the secret ingredient, maybe Alan's peeps will make it that long as well :)

I can't wait till my bloom compaction stump is as deeply burned as yours is. Super cool stuff!

Zeb

I almost turned my stump over today. But, the nice burn recess, does a great job of holding the bloom when your alone. It will even hold it up on the side now. :D

It doesn't take long my friend. This is my third stump. :)

Mark Green

(cptn. Mal)