John Page

Adding Injury to Insult

In the vain hopes of salvaging the integral tanto I was working on all morning when it shattered in the quench, I found out first hand what it feels to box with the belt sander. One little slip with the right amount of pressure, and :blink: .. Bleeding thumb.

For about a tenth of a second, the 80 grit belt had its way with me, and I immediately remembered why I usually wear welding gloves when doing heavy sanding (aside from making it bearable to hold with the heat build up).

It wasn't the end of the world, and I kept working long after the bleeding stopped, but be it a public service announcement-- Don't be hasty!

For the brief contact I had, I lost ~1.25cm of nail off the right side, and the skin beneath.

Given, if I had a better setup, this would never have happened, but don't let the lull of flying sparks lure you! I did, and I'll be feeling it for a few days...

John

Thumb.png

Oh yeah, I've done that before, no fun at all. It's worse with a 36 grit belt, don't ask how I know :unsure:

maybe we should have an injury forum, yesterday I took out my left index knuckle leveling a sushi knife :)

Ouch, bummer about the thumb. Grinders very rarely loose a fight. Have you ever wrapped up your shirt in a 4.5" angle grinder? I'm lucky I didn't get too hurt on that one, the shirt didn't make it though.

Zeb

THAT'S gonna leave a mark, ouch! I've got a spot right next to that one on my thumb that has so much scar tissue that it's raised up in a knot. I never wear gloves while grinding, figuring that the gloves might cause more damage than they would save, but bumping a belt is never good. Take care, you're going to feel that one for a while.

Geoff

Caught the back of my knuckle on a hard grinding disk with my 7" angle grinder a few months back. Don't ask me how I managed to pull that off. But ye Gods it was awful :wacko:/>

Edited by Freya W. Ward

My recent injury is 4 good 2nd degree blister burns from some splashed wax in prep for bronze casting. That stuff is like napalm. At least I'm lucky, my skin heals pretty quick, and it only hurt bad the first evening, even after long soaks in ice water.

Guess that everyone that works with hot steel has a few oops to talk about. My most recent made me feel like such a rookie. Normally I forge w/o gloves and foolishly wiped some scale from the top of the anvil after returning the piece to the forge. :rolleyes: You can guess the rest.

+1 on grinding w/o gloves or long sleeves.

Gary

About two years ago, I got into a fight with my angle grinder and needless to say it won, left a gash in my left forearm about 4 inches long and about an inch deep. After 14 or so stitches and a bull snot excuse to the wife, i was grounded from any power tools for a while. So moral of the story, leave the safety equipment on and dont try to take short cuts with things moving faster than your reflexes can ever hope to match.

stitches.jpg

Saw this elswhere and thought it was worth sharing.

"Power tools are very patient- they'll wait thirty or forty years for you to make a mistake."

If all the scars on my hands were marked with blue ink I would have blue hands! My worst mishap was drilling pin holes in a blade that was sharpened. Bit caught as it punched thru and spun it twice in my hand ouch! shredded palm. I use vicegrips now instead of my dukes.Live and learn

if i have to work on a sharp blade i tape it if your smart you only shape one handle on a sharpend blade once that spins in your hand you should no better than to do it a second time :P

I've done most of these but, loose muslin buffing wheels are the grabbiest, spun a finished knife all the way around in .25 seconds(or faster) and the back of the blade cut my left index finger to the bone. I'm just glad it was the back of the blade,they would have been calling me stumpy otherwise!

Fred

bumped a old 60 grit belt at "Dads" shop nice carterized grove at a 45 degree angle across the center of My left pointer cutical

whats worse , after supergluing to fil it and appling a bandaid , I did the same stunt again , only this time the bandaid took one for the team..........................................

I think any that use grinders get nipped

~M~

maybe we should have an injury forum

Amen !! Lol, seems like these posts are very commonplace lately. Maybe there's an unspoken contest going on to see who can post the gnarliest shop injuries?

Belt grinder kisses... <_<

If you are lucky they just leave hickeys. :wacko:

I lost the whole tip of my middle finger that way back in high school wood shop. No stitches, 'cause nothing left to stitch back on, but it somehow managed to grow back after a few months.

But my favorite belt sander incident was the gal in my HS shop class that put her hair in a pony tail, but didn't tie it back or stick it inside her shirt... She leaned over the hand held belt sander she was using, it caught the tip of her pony tail and she immediately let go of the trigger, but by the time it stopped spinning it was tighter to her head than Ma's curlers. Lucky for her Mr. Eilers took pity on her and spent the next class period and a half dismantling the sander to extricate her hair so she didn't end up with a buzz cut. :huh:

Be safe! ish...

James