Knapped Bowie Project

This project started the moment I picked up the antler handle at the local bi-annual Packwood Flea Market. I had been fiddling around with a piece of Cable I had worked earlier in the week and started drawing patterns on the steel trying to figure out what to do with it. Yes it is a piece of cable damascus, I almost exclusively work in it, anywho, I picked up the handle and said BINGO!. I went home that afternoon and started shaping the steel out and grinding away to prep it to knap. The next day I sat down and it took about 90 minutes per side, then laid a couple coats of blue on it, and started opening the tang up more to fit it.

No its not finished yet, I am trying to decide how I want to HT the blade still, I am stuck between a standard ht and temper or do it in one swoop by yakiire ( not that you would see a hamon after bluing again but more to not have to worry about tempering later on ) then ofc finish sanding and putting on the tang. I am thinking about just using wedges driven deep to hold it in place rather than the standard epoxy method. Then using some deer hide to make a knot to hide the tang sticking into the hande as well as provide the stop a guard normally would. This is a thinner blade roughly 1/8 inch thick and it is longer than 12 inches by a smidge.

I do want to thank Tom Sterling for his work and inspiration as well as time for showing me how to knap steel. So what do you guys think?

knapped1.jpg

knapped2.jpg

I think that the knapped look came off very well. I've never tried it myself, and I've only seen it a few times, but yours is definitely one of the better ones. The grain inside the knapping is especially cool, and the spacing looks right (at least to me) for the size of the blade.

Can't wait to see it finished!

John

Please show a close up of the blade when it's done - I want to see what knapped Damascus looks like. Regardless, that's gonna be a heck of a knife - stunning

Looks like yoou got the hang of the knapping thing. I'm interested to see how the cable looks in knapped style, so show us a close up when you're done. Good job!

Tom

Thank you Sir, I am going to try a light etch to experiment a little after I ht and temper it to see if etching it would be a viable option for it or not and then decide if I want to just blue only or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I tested bluing over a already etched blade and It did not take very well, I am considering changing acids (pcb board stuff) and seeing if that would work. Or maybe blue the blade first and then etch....I really want to find a way to bring out the cable and still have the blue on it to make it look like stone......