Chainsaw Blade

Rob Toneguzzo

About a week ago I did my first pattern weld using a chainsaw chain. Today I forged it into a blade so fingers crossed I don't stuff it up...but...if I do it will not be the first ...or last I suppose.

It was only a small chain so I did not have a lot to work with. I have only used 5160 so far so I was wondering if there was anything different in the quench for this type of steel or if non-magnetic was a good guide for this too.

IMG_6860.JPG

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

Hey Rob,

Non-magnetic should work fine for this. One observation is that from the pic it looks like you got the tip too hot and might have ran the carbon out of the tip. One way to stop this from happening is to keep a close eye on the blade as you are bringing it up to non-magnetic. If the tip is getting there much quicker than the rest of your blade give just the tip a very quick dip in your quenching solution and back to the fire very quickly. I use to have this problem quite often because of grinding my tip too thin before the quench. If what I am seeing is something different than I described please take no offense, just trying to help. :)

Can't wait to see the pattern you got from the chain. Nice shape to the blade.

Wade

Wade

Jos et löydä rauhaa itsestämme on turhaa etsiä sitä muualta.

If you can not find peace within yourself, it is useless to look elsewhere.

Visit my website http://www.wadesknives.com

790 - 820°C in lukewarm oil (so go a little over non-mag, but don't wait too long)if you want you might repeat that

then two times 180° into the oven for one hour with a water bath inbetween and you should be on the bright side...

Jokke

Thanks Wade, Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have not quenched it yet and was thinking of taking the tip back a little bit anyway. When I quench I will for sure take that advice as the tip is a bit thin.

Thanks Jokke

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes" - Tom HALL - Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

Thanks Zeb...I will be interested to see too. Not sure how it will look when I clean it up though.

Looking very promising Rob...

You forge with charcoal don't you ? when I'm chopping mine I pick out a few large dense pieces and put them to one side.

Then when I've got a fully shaped blade in the forge I pop one of the large charcoal pieces in and rest the very tip of the blade on it.

It works sort of like a heatsink and keeps the tip from getting too hot.

Good luck with the next stage mate ;)

Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims

Looking good Rob! I really like the shape of it! You are getting very good at forging very close to shape. As for the tip overheat thing, i used to juat make a fire that was just short of the length of the blade and slide the knife in and out keeping a close eye on the color and would get the thick parts of the blade dull red first then let the tip catch up since it will catch up quickly.

Looking forward to more progess reports!!

Dave

Men are just boys with bigger toys!

Thanks Dave and Sid. I will give that coal thing a go as I put a coal right down the end of the pipe anyway when I heat. When I first looked at this site I thought people here did the impossible but what I am making now compared to what I was making then is much better thanks to all the available advice and people willing to share knowledge. BTW I still think people here do the impossible but things i thought were previously beyond my reach are starting to get just that bit closer haha. The more mistakes I make and learn from the closer I get.

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is....I decided I would make a small kitchen knife. I am very happy with the heat treat on this blade. It cut a nice little sliver from my vice handle without blade damage. I will keep this knife as it is my first pattern weld.

Thanks to all for the advice on this thread and via PM.

Rob

s3.JPG

s8.JPG

Quite impressive Rob!! I like how tight the fittings are for the handle! You are getting quite good very quickly!

Men are just boys with bigger toys!

Nicely done Rob, I had my fingers crossed for you :D

Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims

Thanks heaps for the replys guys. It was not what I had in mind when I started it but it kind of just turned out that way. I don't think that I have ever made exactly what I emagined in my head. I start a knife and by the end it sort of guides me into what it wants rather that what I wanted hahaha...