Press Tooling on Leather

When sleep evades me, my mind goes and does strange things. Last night, this is what it devised.

I have absolutely no idea if this is actually done in practice, or if it is a horrible idea, and I'll know a little better tomorrow after it's had some time to sit.

In short, I tried using steady compression for tooling leather instead of a single, sharp blow as if done by a hammer. And, instead of using tools purpose built for the job, I tried some of the abundance of electric fence wire I had in the basement. This is certainly not the best way of doing things, but then again, I usually find the way that is not and still do it anyway ;)

I'll have some pictures once I can get over to a better connection, but from the quick test I did this morning, it seems to have worked. Unfortunately, I cannot do anything fancy, as the entire principle is laying down the shape on the leather, putting a board over it, and clamping it down as hard as humanly possible, or if you have a press lying around, as hard as that goes. I intend to try this on some sort of knot pattern, but we shall see.

So, does anyone do this sort of thing, or is there a serious flaw I'm missing?

John

That's really nice and turned out very well. Good to know that it is a plausible solution.

After 24 hours, the wire imprint is still clear, although one end where the clamps must not have been is a little faded. Other than that, I think I'll try something more complex before trying it on a sheath, but if it works, I know just the thing to use it on :ph34r:

John

I've been toying with hand embossing leather... similar to what you are doing, but with hand pressure and tools instead of a press. The moisture content of the leather is critical it seems, too dry or too wet both get bad results. If done right it looks pretty cool, and is permanent.

Keep experimenting!

The moisture content of the leather is critical it seems, too dry or too wet both get bad results. If done right it looks pretty cool, and is permanent.

I was wondering if that made a difference, and if the leather I have can take any water without becoming unusable. Experiment I will!

• 6 months later...

I like to chuck leather tooling stamps in my bench drill press and use that.

The drill is not turned on, of course!

• Like 1

That's a very interesting idea, I'll try that out.

After forgetting about the test piece for 6 months, I found the strip of leather again and it looks about the same as it did after the first few days. Proof of concept? :lol:

John

Recently Project Gutenberg listed an old book on decorating leather. I'm going through it now, but it mentions using a press to emboss patterns on leather, sometimes using heavy paper to make a pattern. It may be of interest.

I don't have a direct link to the book (everything on Project Gutenberg is out of copyright in the U.S., may or may not be in other countries) but the main site is here

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

ron

Here it is.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40286

You can download it in various forms, or if you don't have something that reads one of the forms it gives go to the html version and print to pdf to get a pdf version.

The original was in french, this is an english translation.

ron

Very interesting, thanks for posting the direct link. I'll be perusing this for the next few days, I think.

John