13th century German sword

J. Helmes

Hello, Here is a sword I have just completed. It is based off of a find from Germany from probably the 13th century. The blade is inlayed with bronze. Further imaged of the sword can be found on my facebook page here . For those interested there is a thread on MyArmoury detailing the reconstruction process here .

P6120512.jpg

P6120524.jpg

P6120515.jpg

P6120518.jpg

Beautiful!

Really nice work, Jeff! Nice clean fuller, and I love the look of the countersunk shoulders into the guard.

Inlay is one of those "Gotta learn to do that someday" skills on my list.

Cheers!

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

oh yeah! that is a very good one!

kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Lovely work!

very clean & purposeful looking.

"Nedeher Ewedeni" - what does that mean?

it ain't latin as far as I can say... nor does it sound germanic... but old languages aren't exactly my speciality ;)

Edited by DGentile

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile

custom knives & forging classes

http://www.ferrum-d.com

"Nedeher Ewedeni"

-Perhaps it is elfish or dwarfish?

:-)

These inscriptions are typically cryptic. It is believed they are abbreviations for prayers or religious incantations. Some believe the saying they represent may have been a mix of latin and vulgate. This all means such inscriptions are for the most part very difficult for use to decipher today.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys! :) It always means alot to me to get positive feedback from the forum .

Dan, as near as we can tell it's might be some form of middle high German. I can't honestly tell you what it means though. Failing all else of course, as Peter said, it's probably elvish. Perhaps written by some shifty shop nisse. :ph34r:

Edited by J. Helmes

Lovely! The risers in the handle are a nice touch, the inlay is very well done, and the proportions are perfect.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Top notch! Everything about it speaks volumes of your skill as a craftsman.

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

That is just beautiful. If I ever try making a sword it's going to be something similar to that. My daughter has been wanting to try something like that. Very nice.