Oräddbror - "the fearless brother"

7400547132_fd095d5854_c.jpg

7400550536_0065e80973_c.jpg

***More pictures here***

Well it has certainly been a while since I last posted anything. I'm happy to get back into the swing of things amidst a lot of life changes.

For any of you gents who were at Ashokan Sword seminar last year you will recognize this sword.

And the first thing I should note is, yes... I know, the pattern is "sloppy"

I had a few quick surprisingly sharp criticisms of it on Facebook from a few folks. But that is definitely my fault, as I failed to mention that the "sloppiness" of this blades pattern was purposeful.

I literally forged this blade over a year and a half ago, and it was in a time where I was just getting my feet wet in terms of composite twist blades.

So it was both an experimentation and purposeful fun. Not to mention the fact that (to my eyes at least) it even appears that a few historical swords of this time period had equally loose twists. So that is my disclaimer for the blade... ;)

I'm currently making 4 swords at the moment, all with complex and tightly twisted composite blades. I'm just a young bloke still learnin with not much time to spare... :)

Oräddbror is my attempt at a hypothetical variation of a Behmer type 1 and type 6 early Scandinavian spatha. Loosely inspired by swords right on the cusp of evolving between two distinct cultures, this type of Scandinavian Spatha took lead from some of the classical Roman hilts and the early migration period "Germanic" hilts.

the swords blade is keen and extremely light-weight. The primarily organic hilt is crafted from exotic Brazilian blackwood with matching scabbard, while the grip is carved from antique elk antler from Sweden. Both the hilt and scabbard are capped with hand engraved brass fittings that feature early Scandinavian ornamentation.

Stats:

OAL: 35 1/2"

Blade length: 27 1/4th"

Blade width: 1 5/8ths'

Point of balance: 4 1/4th" from the guard

Steel: 1075 and L6

Hilt and Scabbard wood: Brazilian Blackwood

Grip: Antique elk antler

Fittings: Engraved brass

And this piece is currently available through my website at:

http://cedarloreforge.mymiddleearth.com/2012/06/19/oraddbror/

Its the first non commissioned piece I have done in years.

So hoping it at some point finds a home

Thanks for looking!

Onto the next piece... ;)

Cheers

- David

David, some might call it sloppy not me, I really like the coarse twist and low layer count, I feel at times some patterns are too controlled, give blades a life of their own.

Nice, really nice work

Cheers

Richard

i like it

to be honest... i don't share the facebook sloppy idea ! if you noticed your graphic style for doing the pommel and your drawings has a thick line... and having a thick line on the pattern on your blade does have a nice connection to it... eg, the blade pattern and the pommel engravings

- having style is great... do what you do, and do it well ... the overall piece has great flavor .... just by looking at it, i can tell that you made it !! B)

did you get to where you are, by following the status quo ;)

G

ps.. i say, that elk bone pulls everything together nicely.. good work

I wouldn't worry about it. It just comes down to a matter of taste. I personally like low count damascus while others think that it's too unrefined. Same thing with a slow twist on a bar, some will like it and some won't. No big deal either way.

Doug

Ha! You call THAT sloppy. Wait until you get to my shop. I'll show you some stuff that I made that's actually sloppy. . . .

Grin.

Very nice work, bro. I love the carved brass elements and the hardwood fittings. It has a bit of a Gladius feel to it.

One down at Cedarlore, several hundred left to go!

See you in 4 days!

--Dave

Dude I love the way the the blade looks, the whole sword for that matter. Really like how fat the pattern is :)

Very inspiring as always David! and I think Sid summed it up best, "I love it - bold, not sloppy. " the caving on the brass is wonderful, I cant wait to see your future blades, and I look forward to your presentation at Arctic Fire!

I think the 'sloppiness' makes it look more natural and, although I do not see it as sloppy at all. The layers are almost like carvings of their own, a really neat and unique effect.

I say to heck with the haters!

John