New Kitchen Knife, and my bird friend Frank

I forged this knife for my mom, she cooks. The blade is 1075 and I used some really awesome walnut and antler for the handle, would love any criticism! Oh also my bird Frank is in the pictures, I found him in our yard he fell from the top of our house and he is incredibly tame.

DSC06617.jpg

DSC06613.jpg

DSC06611.jpg

DSC06610.jpg

DSC06609.jpg

DSC06608.jpg

DSC06605.jpg

DSC06605.jpg

DSC06603.jpg

DSC06602.jpg

Edited by Matt Waters

That looks pretty nice. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it sort of looks like the blade is too thick right by the cutting edge... I could however be wrong. That piece of walnut is awesome! It looks like it could use another coat of oil or two. Good job!

Yep I only have one coat of oil on in the picture, I put more on:). And yes, this is a bit think to be a good kitchen knife, I started with 1/4 inch stock and its now 3/16 inch thick and not even close to being thin enough:/

I wish I had a pet like that. When I was a kid we had a neighbor that had a pet crow that was free to roam but stayed near the house. Coming home from school I often saw him on the lawn calling out "Hallo" in a loud crow voice :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the edge, but it looks like a great knife. The bird is awesome, too ;)

John