American style wakizashi

Sam Salvati

This was the blade from my Grindomatic 5000 thread, in which I used the Grindomatic5000 and my KMG's most awesome angle adjustable platen to do all the primary grinding and rough sanding up to 120, then it was easy to follow freehand to finish grind and polish. Blade is Aldo's 1084, tsuba is silicon bronze. 1/4" thick at the spine, 14 3/4" blade, 5 1/2" handle. Blades in the style of the Americanized tanto with the chisel tip and all that, 400 grit working finish. Critique and all that welcome, out of my usual realm all ground and polished clean like that.

198324_4211608819450_286280934_n.jpg

295350_4211608859451_1545702367_n.jpg

397716_4211608899452_136262561_n.jpg

397716_4211608979454_1643512760_n.jpg

397716_4211609019455_15151598_n.jpg

307066_4211612939553_16943007_n.jpg

545129_4211612979554_1803310716_n.jpg

168801_4211617259661_454736106_n.jpg

168801_4211617339663_2068134777_n.jpg

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

nice hybrid, and good to see you polish something even a little!

Maybe more tip or kissaki or whatever. But, you nailed the basic hybrid style, for sure. I generally HATE the Americanized tanto very badly. But, what you have here looks right. It doesn't seem out of place, it looks good. Nice job.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

what did you use under the paracord? nice hybrid...im like Kevin when it comes to american style tanto...butyou pulled off a nice looking blade...this is just my personal taste, but i think some taper, and larger kissaki would have looked really nice on this blade...it almost looks like it gets wider towards the tip...im not sure if this is an optical illuson, or intentional...like i said though, none of this is criticism towards a very nice blade, just my personal taste.

In the eyes of a novice, i may be a master...but in the eyes of a master, im merely a novice.

ichi-go, ichi-e

thanks guys!

Mike, I see what you are saying and totally agree, this blade was the test piece for the Grindomatic5000 bevel grinding jig I was messing with, so yes it looks like beveled barstock because that's what it is :D I used some leather.

Large Kissaki are a modern trend, seems the old school guys in the days of Engnath and such always favored short tips.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

thanks guys!

Mike, I see what you are saying and totally agree, this blade was the test piece for the Grindomatic5000 bevel grinding jig I was messing with, so yes it looks like beveled barstock because that's what it is :D I used some leather.

Large Kissaki are a modern trend, seems the old school guys in the days of Engnath and such always favored short tips.

that leather looks sweet...has some texture to it...do you add the texture to it, or aquire it like that? if so, how, or where...lol

i guess i shouldnt have used kissaki...i mean the yokote might look better running perpendicular to the blade...does that make sense?

In the eyes of a novice, i may be a master...but in the eyes of a master, im merely a novice.

ichi-go, ichi-e

it is as it came, the same leather it is lying on in the photos. i got it at a hammer in, don't know anything about it except that I use it sparingly!!!

Yes I understand, but then it would not be american style, it would be chinese ninja sword style LOL.

Thanks Jeff!

I'm pretty much in the same boat with Kevin and Mike on the Western tanto style, but I also agree with everybody else in that I really like this--it's a nice hybrid! By the way, I could be wrong, but the leather looks like buffalo to me: http://www.aalialeathers.net/buffalo-leather.htm

I'm pretty much in the same boat with Kevin and Mike on the Western tanto style, but I also agree with everybody else in that I really like this--it's a nice hybrid! By the way, I could be wrong, but the leather looks like buffalo to me: http://www.aalialeathers.net/buffalo-leather.htm

wow...nice catch...i think you nailed it...thank you.

ichi-go, ichi-e