Sign in to follow this  
Rik Palm

Holding small items

I have been just sucking it up when I burn my fingers on holding small items.  I've tried a tape tab grip,  magnets don't work for copper, I've tried super glue but it can only take so much heat, I've tried using a wet sponge riding on the belt to keep it cool, small clamps wood and metal but you lose the "feel" of the shaping.  basically I work in a rhythm with a fresh grit and only shape it in short bursts and its kinda funny now I know when the pain is coming if I stayed to long on the area!

I was wondering how others are dealing with small parts?

any suggestions?

Rik

a.burn your finger until its numb.*

b. make bigger parts

c. don't cut them from the parent stock until the last possible operation is done.

d. pin vise or vice grips

* requires saying damit a lot

I use a fly-tying vise.  It may be the same as a pin vise.  Won't hold anything much thicker than a penny.

Jantz and K+G both supply small, hand-held vises for this purpose.

sorry,

I just say damn a lot...and have the water bucket near by for my fingers expecially with copper, and gloves are not safe

sweanys suggestion c is about the best

csc

Yeah, copper's great for learning about heat conduction, isn't it?:angry:

Definitely Sweany c&d, or sometimes I'll solder a rod onto a piece which is more reliable than glue.

Waterspray on the grinder has some upsides....

...downside is the frigggin mess and lookin like you peed your pants after you grind.... my fingers are happier though.

I had this problem making a couple of blades for small folders; with a big fixed blade you can hold onto the blade while grinding the tang, and the tang while grinding the blade.  I settled on using vise-grips, padded with card or bicycle inner tube rubber.  That's okay with a blade, when you can do one end then the other, but for smaller parts I just keep a pot of water nearby, and quench it briefly when it gets uncomfortable; just a few seconds usually suffices.

Guest Rik Palm

Thanx for the input.   I keep water close for those darn! moments.  

It would probably make a pretty funny internet movie. quick clips of all of us holding onto something that gets too hot.

Rik