Bush Knife

DarrenRob

LEjWD.jpg?1

01UcB.jpg?1

1960 Dodge pickup leaf spring. Aluminum guard and butt cap, Walnut handle.8 1/8" blade, 13 1/2" OAL

Edited by DarrenRob

Loneforge Blades

looks good--I like the forge marks you left in and that walnut's real pretty

I landed two sets of 1960 Dodge Pick up leaf springs. So before I made anything decent with it I wanted to build a test knife. The steel holds up nice. I may have tempered a bit too hot as after much abuse the blade edge rolled ever so slightly....I do mean abuse too! The test knife will be a keeper. If I'd have known it would stand up like this I would have gone a little further than the crude finish.....Although I do like it.

Thanks for the compliment!

Loneforge Blades

Not bad. I have to admit that I generally don't like a forge finish. Sometimes it sets off a piece but not often. Usually it just makes the knife look unfinished to me but we are talking about a matter of taste. Another suggestion is to get a file guide and use it to cut the plunge lines. I think that would really help with the transition between the ricasso and the rest of the blade. It might also help keep the bevel at the back of the edge equal with the rest. If the handle is as flat as the picture makes it seem you might try to make it a little rounder. You did round the edges well to keep it from looking absolutely like a block of wood. Very nice job on the guard and butt plate. The basic design of the blade also looks good with the slight trailing point and nice job on keeping that swage even.

Good score on the two sets of springs. Once you get the heat treatment figured out you will have plenty of steel to use before you have to get some more. Even if they were not off the same truck, with them being of the same make, year, and model it would be reasonable to assume that the steel is all the same. Just be aware that you might run into some stress cracking in the springs but, then again, you might not. If you are going to go with mystery metal, I think old springs are the way to do it.

What kind of equipment are you working with?

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Thanks for the tips and compliments Doug! I am using a home built 20lb propane tank Gas Forge. We have a couple decent anvils as well. I'm quenching in ATF and tempering in a toaster oven. Added a nice thick piece of mild steel to the oven to keep the temperature from cycling. I did two tempering cycles in the oven and then differentially tempered to the spine for toughness. There is more roundness to the handle than can seen in this pic and the bevels are more pronounced than it appears also. I have employed your Idea on the plunge lines(not on this though). I didn't expect this to perform as well as it did or like I said there would have been more attention Fit and Finish. My bevels are usually a little soft as I have no belt grinder. Anything you see by me up to now has been done with Files and paper. My style is developing......only been at this a short while so far.....Thanks, Darren

Loneforge Blades

Darren, congrats on the score but more so on the fact that your doing it with basic hand tools. It takes a determined fellow to go that road. I also think it makes a better maker out of most guys. By doing it the hard way, which is much slower, you learn to capture subtleties that you may not by being able to remove stock faster.

I made my first six knives by the same methods. I think it made me better and would not change the path that I took for anything. It gives me pride knowing I can make a great and very attractive knife with minimal tools. However I am glad that I now have a belt grinder.

Chris