Dave Stephens

Arctic Fire Videos

Hey all, my name is Harry and I just joined this great forum. I too am interested in the dvd. I found the talk by Peter to be immensely enjoyable and equally informative. I missed out on geometry in school (make that successfully avoided). Now, I wish I had bitten the bullet back when they tried to force feed me knowledge.

This makes me want to dust off the compass....

<Insert slow clapping .gif here>

Bravo!

Best regards

Question for Jol...

Where you do you get your flowers of sulphur? I have everything else I need to try niello, but I'm stuck on this one. Small amounts, no more than that jar you had in the video, if possible...

EDIT: Nevermind. Amazon, of all places. Whodathunk. Do you prefer the powder or the flakes? Or does it matter at all?

Edited by Christopher Price

Actually I bought a 50 lb bag of agricultural / gardening sulphur, (90% sulphur and 10% bentonite,) because it was really cheap, like $30, and it is working out great. Way cheaper than the small bottles, and I doubt I will ever buy sulphur for niello again. For the record, aside from buying it online, you can usually find it in older pharmacies because pre-boomers use it on their feet for some reason or other.

The Amazon stuff isn't that cheap, but it's not too bad either. I'll probably go for 5 pounds ($15) because I'll likely never make that much of this stuff, and if I do, I know where to get more.

Thanks again for your wonderful video demo of this, I hope to find success from your wisdom. I'm sure there's a ton more to learn, but that takes some doing of it now, doesn't it. ;)

Sorry guys. It's not done yet.

We're doing this in our spare time, and the job that pays the bills has been taking up a lot of time. I've been on the road for two weeks now.

If fact, I'm writing this at 35,000 feet somewhere between Minneapolis and Anchorage.

All the presentations are edited, we're just working on the behind-the-scenes footage now.

I did mention it's going to be a four disc set, right? So . . . there's a LOT of content.

The forum will be the first to know when they're available.

Dave

Sorry guys. It's not done yet.

We're doing this in our spare time, and the job that pays the bills has been taking up a lot of time. I've been on the road for two weeks now.

If fact, I'm writing this at 35,000 feet somewhere between Minneapolis and Anchorage.

All the presentations are edited, we're just working on the behind-the-scenes footage now.

I did mention it's going to be a four disc set, right? So . . . there's a LOT of content.

The forum will be the first to know when they're available.

Dave

Thank you for your effort. I would rather it be done right, than right away.

-Art

I'll start saving the pennies . I haven't seen them all yet , but this is a knockout .

Don Fogg does such a job of showing How we should respect the craft , along with making methods easily understandable . I think Jake Powning might know more about the old tribes of Europe than the tribes did !

" Thank you " can't begin to cover the generosity from all of you who are doing this , but thank you very much .

( goin back for more ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, )

I am Intrested in a Dvd also, what is the ball park figure for this 4 disk set?

No pre-ordering list. When we're done editing and have a final price I'll post a link to the ordering page.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the DVD. I have gone back and watched all the recordings, and I feel like I've learned more about bladesmithing from these videos than I have in all my research on my own time. Arctic Fire was handled brilliantly, and everyone involved should be praised highly for their work.

Hi Everyone! New to the forum! Just finished viewing the videos! Wow I that was amazing!

I was really taken by Peter's presentation on the Medieval Sword. His theory was very helpful

for me in understanding the European Medieval mind set and that age vs. ours. It really seems

that we have lost something in our modern insistance in imposing measure vs geometry in our lives.

I use the Chinese Jain/broadsword in doing Tai Chi and Peter's presentation has got me wondering

about the historical philosophical or guiding principles behind the geometry of that form of sword.

Cheers!

www.customsweetness.com

Edited by Mark Bartlett

The DVD's are done!

They are on the way to the distributor.

As soon as they are available for purchase I'll let you know.

Van Clifton, the Director/Producer/Editor/Overall Media Badass of this project has put literally hundreds of hours into editing these videos. They finished product is really nice.

I hope you can order by Xmas.

--Dave

Awesome! Thanks for all the work and hours you guys have put in...I am really looking forward to seeing these.

No idea on price yet. Depends on quantity of DVD's produced. Digital download price should be easy and will be the first thing to come out as we don't have to pay for materials or shipping.

I'm afraid it will probably be pretty cheap for download and pretty steep (like $40 or more . . . which is a pure guess) for the DVD's, because I'm not willing to risk buying a big batch of duplicates up front in the hopes they all sell (and it turned out to be a 6 disc set). The more you buy, the cheaper the duplication cost, but if I buy a lot and they don't sell I could be out thousands of dollars. Hope you guys understand.

I recommend digital download if you have the bandwidth. It will take a long time to download, but it should be much more affordable. Itunes and Amazon take most of the profits, but I'm not worried about re-couping the expenses of the event/production as much as I'm worried about losing a bunch of additional money in unsold DVDs.

Thanks for your understanding guys.

Dave

No idea on price yet. Depends on quantity of DVD's produced. Digital download price should be easy and will be the first thing to come out as we don't have to pay for materials or shipping.

I'm afraid it will probably be pretty cheap for download and pretty steep (like $40 or more . . . which is a pure guess) for the DVD's, because I'm not willing to risk buying a big batch of duplicates up front in the hopes they all sell (and it turned out to be a 6 disc set). The more you buy, the cheaper the duplication cost, but if I buy a lot and they don't sell I could be out thousands of dollars. Hope you guys understand.

I recommend digital download if you have the bandwidth. It will take a long time to download, but it should be much more affordable. Itunes and Amazon take most of the profits, but I'm not worried about re-couping the expenses of the event/production as much as I'm worried about losing a bunch of additional money in unsold DVDs.

Thanks for your understanding guys.

Dave

Thanks for all the hard work.

-Art

Whatever the price for the DVD, I'll pay. I got to see a few of the lectures during the summer and I'd say the content on there is priceless. Can't wait to see it!!

Whatever the price for the DVD, I'll pay. I got to see a few of the lectures during the summer and I'd say the content on there is priceless. Can't wait to see it!!

Absolutely! Something about physical media is more attractive to me. Can't wait!

John

DVD's for me, please. As long as it's not Bluray, I don't have that gear yet.