Geoff Hardy

the hobbit movie weapons!!

Being the huge film ... nerd(lets call it what it is) that I am I have been tracking The Hobbit movie since it's announcement .

There are some pretty unique weapons in the film here are a few.

Not sure if Peter designed these but they seem pretty fitting Fili's Seaxes are just awesome!!

dori-sword.jpg

dwalin-hammer.jpg

dwarf-bow.jpg

fili-sword.jpg

thorins-axe.jpg

glamdring.jpg

gloins.jpg

And of course Thorin's Orcrist!!!

Looks like a Falcata or a Falchion to me

orcrist-header3.jpg

fullsword.jpg

orcristinfull.png

It would not surprise me if some of those were made by a member of this list.

One never really knows till all the contractual obligations are met...silence being one of them.

I look forward the the movie.

Ric

Ya, I believe the sword for the movie Thor was made at the now disbanded Mad Dwarf Forge below Muncie, Indiana.

Doug

I know a certain member of this forum native to New Zealand has been involved with this film :ph34r: I'm fairly psyched for its release, and if nothing more, for Howard Shore's accompanying score. Excellent blades, though. Can't wait to see them on the big screen.

John

Hi All

I just spotted this, these arms are a team effort, the designs are from from the Weta designers

The swords were made by Peter Lyon, the main swordmaker at Weta, Tristan McCullouch (hope I got the name right) and myself, there are at times quite a few other people involved behind the screens.

I really enjoyed the experience of working at Weta there was a fantastic crew there and I made some very good friends there.

Richard

Edited by Richard van Dijk

Hi All

I just spotted this, these arms are a team effort, the designs are from from the Weta designers

The swords were made by Peter Lyon, the main swordmaker at Weta, Tristan McCullouch (hope I got the name right) and myself, there are at times quite a few other people involved behind the screens.

I really enjoyed the experience of working at Weta there was a fantastic crew there and I made some very good friends there.

Richard

That is awesome Richard !! really excited to see what you guys did on the big screen . I found out just recently that the blades in LOTR were made via stock removal? that almost seems like it would be harder! As with all things on the net a took that with a grain of salt , is that true?

As a person who has worked in the film industry (hollywood north) for several years (had to get out crazy hours as you know) I salute you !!! The hours that must have gone into these weapons shows!

I know that you might not be able to answer this but who designed Fili's seax it is just one of those images that will stick with me!!

Anyways great job.

Geoff

Richard,

Did you guys make only the swords, or the axes, etc. too?

--Dave

One more question Richard.

Answer only if you can (I know about those confidentiality agreements)

What did you guys use a patina on those blades, I am sure that you used 5160 or something very similar . Would love to use it on a current project I am doing.

Thanks Again!

Yeah from what Peter had mentioned to me once, they are typically done via a CNC machine, then I'd imagine touched up by hand. Gotta get them made quick for production purposes, plus using CNC makes it much easier to make the aluminum versions as you just use the same size stock and programming, just a different material.

I'm looking forward to the movie, and I'm very curious how the 48 fps is going to look. I've heard it's gotten mixed reviews, but the last I read on it, it was liked.

I love the design link between Orcrist and Sting. Now I just hope they fix the problems from the LotR films and make Glamdring glow in this one like it's supposed to =P

I'm not sure if the Axes were made in steel...I know when I'd asked Peter about Gimli's in the other films he said they were typically cast urethane. I was trying to work out how to put one together in the same style in my head.

Edited by EdgarFigaro

Thanks so much for posting these. Years ago, I dreaded that the LOTR films would kill my fond memories of the trilogy, I was wrong, and now I'm counting how many days until the release of The Hobbit!

I'm glad it worked out that Jackson got stuck doing them again.

I think they could have tried better on Orcrist! it looks like they took parts of sting and just tried to hard.

i understand yes it's made by the elves...but really its sting on crack.

The blade is sweet.

Am I the only nerd wondering about Sindarin and Cirth on Orcrist? I mean, Turgon preferred Quenya and surely Gandalf can read both Sindarin and Cirth... :P

Am I the only nerd wondering about Sindarin and Cirth on Orcrist? I mean, Turgon preferred Quenya and surely Gandalf can read both Sindarin and Cirth... :P

Yup...your the only one....lol

Dan