3200ish layer forge folded tanto blade

matt venier

New koshirae pics!!!!

This is one of my first forge folded blades so everyone be gentle tongue.gif

3200ish layers of Aldo's W2 & 1075(WHC) with about 5% mild just to make it interesting.
11.25"long blade x 1.25" wide and 5/16"thick at the machi, with next to no sori.

fullo.jpg
fullura-1.jpg
hamoncl5.jpg
hamoncl4.jpg
hamoncl3.jpg

you can see the layers in the hamon but it's REAL tough to see them above it, maybe a little more etching in vinegar might bring the pattern out a bit more. It's far from perfect but I'm pretty happy with it.

Matt

Edited by matt venier

That is wonderful!!!!! Matt

Just wonderful.

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

Sweet damascus/hamon combination, and for a semi-first forged blade, it's incredible! You could have been doing it for years ;)

Hats off to you.

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

If this is your idea of far-from-perfect, then Far-from-perfect is just where you should leave it. The whole point of folding the steel like that is to make the blade interesting to look at. (Yes I know it makes the blade stronger and more flexible as well, but just the same.) It creates the kind of beauty that you don't get tired of. This blade has it's own face, it's personality written into it's surface. It is the kind of blade you could look at all day and always find something new.

You sir, are already a master and you don't even know it. :blink:

If it is as durable as it is pretty...?

"Your gun will run out of bullets before my knife runs out of sharp" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the replies!

John; I've forged a bunch of blades but not done much damascus/patternweld stuff.

Ed; I don't have any macro lense so these are as close as I'm going to get.

I'm not sure if I'm going to mount this one or put it up in the for sale section.

Matt

matt - Beautiful! that is my absolute favorite combination of steels for a hamon and hada. The worked wonderfully for you (or, you worked them wonderfully).

Kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I saw the snake at first glance too... perhaps a swimming water snake.

That is an awesome blade.

Am I the only one who sees the snake in the third photo? :o

Beautiful work, Matt. The hada looks very much like tamahagane!

I totally see it… a gift from the forge gods if ever I saw one!

Beautiful hamon - and I agree - there is a snake/dragon in the blade...or at least its spirit - very nice job!

Wow! I'm not usually a fan of Asian blades, but this is amazing, especially for a "first."

Very, very well done.

Welcome to the quest!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

My God, there is a snake there! I am not much for naming blades. Not in this day and age, except when you are echoing the spirit of a time when blades were routinely named. I can go with that. European from certain periods, some of the Japanese stuff... jian but not really dao. You get the idea.

Its Japanese, so think like a Shintoist. This would be the forge god putting some form of spirit into your blade that revealed itself during heat treatment. You gotta name this one, or it might get mad and stab you in the foot.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Hey Guys I want to be clear that this is my first real pattern welded blade, I've been hanging around the site and forging monosteel stuff since 2006 :P I tried doing some cable a bunch of years a go with just a hand hammer and decided to wait until I got some kind of press/power hammer before going any further.

As far as the snake goes it's a weld line (i wouldn't call it an open weld because you can't feel it) but I'd rather it not be there even though it does look cool.

This billet I did a lot of cut/fold/weld but the latest few billets I've done cut/restack/weld and really perfer it.

Matt

So I just want to know if I can change the name of the 1075 to Aldo's Dragon Steel. Matt that is a very cool blade. B) Congratulations.

Edited by Aldo

• 8 months later...

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead a little but just delivered the blade mounted to the customer so now I can post the pics of it complete. some of you saw this blade down at the Fire & Brimstone this year but now I can share with everyone.

erniekoshirae.jpg

ernietsuka.jpg

ernie tsuba.jpg

Alder saya and tsuka, rayskin black lacquered then tops of nodes sanded, with "Pillaged Mariottsville" wrought iron fittings and red knotting cord braid on the handle.