I want to see your stamps.

Brandon Buford

I have seen several stamps that an artist will put on a blade almost like a signature.

Please post yours.

Did you make this or did you have one made.

For example, I have seen Tomas Rucker's stamp. Incredible!

Please post yours. I want to see as many as I can!

I really need to re-work mine. Looking through my pictures to see if I had any decent shots of my mark made me realize how difficult mine is to discern if I don't get a good smack. It usually looks more clear in real life though. And my customers seem to like it.. but I feel like I need something else. I actually have a couple of extra 'touch marks' to add to my more historic stuff... and I can't wait to get them.. hint, hint Mr. PF! :-)

But here it is.. my initials in a diamond. just something I came up with one day that seemed to invoke a runic theme.

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

I agree.. Rucker's is nice. Other ones that stick out to me are Tai Goo's and Rick Marchand's.

Heres ours on a Axe head shaped steel striker..

100_5739.jpg

You have to take Life by the throat, then you need to chocke it until it spits up what you want!!

We got ours from CMT. Columbia Marking Tool company..Good stamp, I wouldent beging to guess how many pieces of metal its stamped..Still good and clear.

You have to take Life by the throat, then you need to chocke it until it spits up what you want!!

Did the art on photoshop, and had Buckeye Engraving make the stamp.

1.1.JPG

Edited by Sean McGrath

To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect.

-Lao Tzu

Here is my idea of my maker's Mark. I could do this via a saltwater etch or even a stamp. I will use a more blockier font to assist in the stamp. But this is what I could envision it looking like on my knife.

The B stands for both my first and last name, Brandon Buford. The Z stands for my two kids, Zane and Zoe. The F stands for forge.

Sorta like Buford's Forge with a nod to my Z's

Maker\'s Mark.jpg

• 1 month later...

I still don't have a stamp. I really like Andrew Jordan's stamp. It's neat and clean with an old-school aristocratic feel. Marchand's stamp is sweet, and I like how it has a runic flavor.

Every time I think I have a decent design in mind, a thread like this pops up and my design gets changed.

If I knew more about design and computers, I might be able to tinker more. Sadly, that's not the case.

When reason fails...

I forgot where I bought my stamp but I would suggest that you consider etching. I've got an economy model chemical/electric etcher from USA Knife Maker Supply on order and hope to give it a try here soon. I'll post the results. Tracy also carries the light sensitive stencil material with and developer with instructions on how to use it without having to purchase a stencil maker for big bucks. All you need is a light and and a clear glass plate.

My reasoning is that when I did some test knives I had one blade break right through where the stamp was. This spot was located near the heal of the blade and not where the blade was at it's greatest bend. That indicated to me that the stamp caused a stress riser. Granted, the blade was just short of a 90° bend when it broke which was definitely deliberate abuse of the blade so there is plenty of room to argue that it really wasn't all that significant. Still, I would rather not create a weakness in the blade. Also stamping is not quite as easy as it looks. It's easy to get one part of the stamp deeper than another if you are not using a stamp holder. If I were to stick with the hot stamp I would make the investment in one to make my stamps look better. My stamp, which is relatively simple, and the stamp holder would run about as much as what I had to invest in the equipment and material to make and etched maker's mark. It wouldn't cost a lot more to purchase one the the full powered etching units out there and you could save a little money by having someone else make your stencils which, with proper care, can mark many knives.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

My stamp is really simple. If I remember correctly its a germanic rune for "P". I just think its a cool symbol.

Big and small. And I can electroetch it also.

rope--navaja--touch mark 026 (571x640).jpg

small stamp 001 (640x480).jpg

Esse quam videri

Mine's a lowercase Alpha inside a cap Omega. A bit of personal symbolism and meaning in why I used it, and a bit of liking how it looks as to why I chose it.

John

AlphaOmega1_edited-2.jpg

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

"Did you forge the mini hammer. That's cool. My first blade is in the finishing stages now. I'm going to try the salt water etching method."

Hi Brandonbuford

yes I forged the mini hammer glad you like it. Electro etching with salt water has worked well for me.

Esse quam videri