Hoard of iron ore

Hello All,

For years I have been making due with mine tailings, long searches, long drives and to find good iron for smelting.

Given my smelting needs and the path I will continue to travel..I have decided to gather my own hoard of good iron ore for the future.

So,like a dragon on its pile of gold, I too have a treasure pile upon which to sleep....and if my wife changes her mind about the location of the pile I may just have to do that.

I am not sure it is a lifetime supply, but it sure is a good start. A bit more and would be taller than me.

I'll run a test smelt next weekend to see how it works, but I am sure it will be excellent material.

I now have a 20 foot commute to get ore for smelting.

Ric

iron ore 2.jpeg

Iron ore 1.jpeg

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Awesome!

-Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

its not the Pillar of Delhi... perhaps the iron pile in Wisconsin ^_^ i can't help think ... "now what is he up to ? "... what ever it is, its gonna be big !!!

when i worked underground.... one day i was assigned to shovel some of the loose that spilled out of the crusher... it was powdered high grade Ni ore ... tried to stick a shovel in it and it bounced right off... apparently if you leave the stuff a couple of days, it'll almost sinter/corrode/stick together like rock..... not the same as iron ore, just one of my many stories that is somewhat loosely relevant :wacko:

Greg

Holy ore, batman! That's one heck of a pile! Can't wait to see what you do with it B)

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

So, that's what, 15 ton of ore at 69% or so, which with typical bloomery efficency ought to give you a 2 or 3 ton bloom which may not fit under the tup of the Nazel... :huh: Might should have thought about that, Ric! :lol:

Seriously though, that's nice to see. Makes my four five gallon buckets look a bit silly though. B)

So, that's what, 15 ton of ore at 69% or so, which with typical bloomery efficency ought to give you a 2 or 3 ton bloom which may not fit under the tup of the Nazel... :huh: Might should have thought about that, Ric! :lol:

Seriously though, that's nice to see. Makes my four five gallon buckets look a bit silly though. B)

20 ton actually at about 60% iron content.

I hope it will yield about 5 ton of good bloom.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Ric.

Thats nice heap of ore.

Now...most interesting question in deed is are you really planing to

build tatara that can prosses all 20t at ones? That means that you have even bigger heap of charcoal next to that

soon...about 40-50t....now thats a big heap.

If you are planing to make tatara...thats actually is even slitelly bigger than Japanese one,

Im not really that surprised :D

Nice ..really nice Ric.

Niko

or you will do the direct reduction in a crucible, I know you have all the stuff that you need for that B)

you will nevertheless have to cover the heap

so rain and wind will not have too much of an effect on it

I would like to put some three kg into a crucible together with some fineground charcoal, just to see what it will look like after three hours in my smelter...

well, my workspace is slowly evolving...

best regards

Jokke

• 1 year later...

Looks just like the stuff I recently received. A less auspicious metal pail. :-) Is it very, very fine? I suspended some in oil and tried it out as a 'nugui' paste. It didn't scratch the hell out of the blade at least... but I never took it much further than that.