Betsy Ross US Flag pen

Ed Street

One of the things I do is make pens. This is one that I did. I finally saw the shot I have been wanting to take for a few years now and I went for it. This is clear stabilized holly for the stars, stabilized blue dyed maple for the field and stabilized red dyed maple for the stripes with clear stabilized holly. Laser cut. with a CA glue and BLO finish.

I hope it meets with everyone's approval ;)

IMG_7785.JPG

IMG_7775.JPG

IMG_7781.JPG

That is the Bill of Rights I used as a backdrop. I Ordered all 3 and the Constitution is still in shipment or I would have used that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy_Ross_flag

Edited by Ed Street
anvil+icon+2.jpg

Wow! That is beautiful.

I admit (with some embarassement after doing a google search and finding out how widespread it is) that I didn't realize pen making was such a serious craft.

Bladesmithing and this craft seem to have many parallel and overlapping skillsets.

Very cool. I can't carry my knives with me to work (well, okay, I do . . . but not on my person all the time). I could carry a handmade pen, however.

Hmmm.

Thanks for opening my eyes! I'll have to give this some thought.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Lets see here,

Band saw (not really needed but greatly helpful, alts would be chop saw, scroll saw, something to cut the blanks into proper lengths)

Drill press,

Wood lathe,

Few gizmo's you will need:

pen bushings (fits on the ends and connects to the tubes and gives you a depth gauge

End cutter, makes the end 90 degree's with the tube, regardless if the hole drilled in the blank is flat you will always be 90degree's from the tube, cant just lay it down on a belt sander and flush cut it.

Pen mandrel, I like to turn between centers but some you have to use a mandrel, so dead center/ live center combo.

Pen press, you can do this on a vise if you have the jaw length, many pens you would not have that like single tubes, the press is real easy to make as well as buy.

CA glue, load and loads of it.

BLO,

Sand paper,

Novus #3 or similar to buff plastics (dont need a buffing wheel with this :)

Now for that, this one is my latest creation: Rhodium Euro ballpoint in Grape Fury Acrylic on Kitayama, 12,000 grit Japanese Waterstone, used for knife sharpening.

IMG_7745.JPG

Some photo's from start to finish will need to start at the bottom and work up

Many parallels yes indeed. Just takes a 3/4" x 3/4" x 3-5" block of whatever, micarta, plastic, wood, etc. to make a pen with. Can even go smaller with some.

Randy S:

Your great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother was Betsy Ross?

Edited by Ed Street
anvil+icon+2.jpg

What about making the metal fittings? Do most pen makers just buy kits (no disrespect intended here; clearly it takes a lot of skill to do even with a kit), or are there makers that actually produce most of the metal elements too?

Thanks for the advice.

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Ed Caffrey makes pens (my Lady Wife has one :lol: ) with damascus barrels, but I think that he buys some of the standard parts and fit's his parts to them. Not reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

The metal parts are basically brass/copper with plating, like gold, rhodium, black titanium, nickel, copper, frost, etc.

You can make your own and do kitless that is one of the more advanced forms and yes it is very possible. I was just posting about making mokume to make some in that kitless :)

This is a higher end fountain pen kit.

IMG_9296.JPG

final image.

IMG_9325.JPG

This one uses shredded money from the US Mint. That is old bills shredded up and cast in a clear epoxy and turned. Many will make their own blanks out of mica powders, paint, snake skin, wire, corn cob, nuts, pine cone, cactus, seeds, the world has unlimited number of potential items to use for this.

This is a bullet pen with some of the details showing on the part.

IMG_9598.JPG

As you can see it's quite detailed and all that. A typical kit will run $5 to $90 depending on size, plating, how upscale it is, etc..

This is one of the simpler kits, it's prairie Rattlesnake skin cast in a clear epoxy.

IMG_9219.JPG

The center band would be easy to make. the transmission not so easy, that's a twist open/close and it elongates with the twist. But you could make the rest fairly easy.

anvil+icon+2.jpg

Pen making is a quick and fun hobby and if you already have a lathe then it's real cheap to get into. And the 7mm Slimline kits are around $5 plus the cost of the blank.

If you don't have a laser cutter, vacuum stabilization and pressurized dye impregnation you can buy the US flag blanks that just need to be glued up and turned a little.

Betsy Ross pen kit source.

BetsyRoss.jpg

:rolleyes:

Kal-B.Ross-1-500x500.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.