flaming iron.. my version of Dave's flame edge damascus

I recently watched Dave's Arctic Fire video on his flame edge damascus and was excited to give it a try since I've lately been wanting to actually try some patterns in 'pattern welding'. I decided to try it with wrought iron instead of steel. Well it went great until the very last weld and my stacks slipped. Instead of stopping and re-grouping I decided to flux and keep going but I ended up with a billet that was way off square and pretty twisted. So I lost a regular pattern but I'm still pretty happy with it. I'm going to try this again real soon and try to nail it down...

IMG_3083.jpg

thanks guys...

Myles.. I just wanted more flames and more of a repetitive 'crushed w' look. But I really needed to fold one more time.. and then not screw it up. :-)

I decided not to do an additional weld because I was worried about losing too much of the wrought iron. The wrought moves a lot faster than the high carbon so I was worried about having too skinny of a wrought spine.

Thanks guys...

Greg.. I actually have been doing a happy dance. It's one of those knives I just can't set down!

Here it is .. still unfinished.. but gives you a better idea of the over-all pattern.

IMG_3080.jpg

also.. note that on this side the high carbon doesn't go all the way to the tip. But on the other side it does. :wacko:

Edited by Scott A. Roush

Thanks a lot Dave... Your presentation made this pretty easy. Well.. not easy. Possible! It sure is hard keeping track of those layers! But hopefully I will have more wispy flames next time...

• 2 months later...

Mister Roush, your mistake worth 100 regular pattern, and if you'll understand what happened and do it again it will worth much more. I hope my opinion could be usefull.

I think "skidding effect" occurred during your welding.When you go to weld two billet I call skidding effect when a billet with a lack in geometry collapse in itself trying to compensate the lack of material

k0.jpg

Interesting is that Ni steel moves differently from others, and usually tips increase. To reproduce this effect don't correct the off square, and apply force uniformly. Sthing else occurred cause flames are oblique...maybe hammers of powerhammer are not parallel and they caused the twist effect during collapsing? I don't know. That's all I have to say.

I'm waiting for good news

Hi Ya'll:

Scott (or anyone else who might know).....Where can a view or save a copy of this video of Dave's Flame Edge Damascus? I tried pulling it up through a search here on the forum.

Thank you, Gary

Here you go.

<iframe width="360" height="229" src="http://www.ustream.tv/embed/recorded/23584944" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none transparent;"> </iframe>

<br /><a href="http://www.ustream.tv/" style="padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;" target="_blank">Video streaming by Ustream</a>

Not sure how I missed this before, but WOW! Nice accident ;) I need to get to that 'pattern' part of pattern welding too, and this is first on the list by a mile. Captured motion, for sure. It's like a drawing from the Divine Comedy mixed with steel and the sun. Wicked!

John

Oops... didn't realize this thread was still active!

Thanks for the comments folks..

Moreno... It is already fading from my memory what happened that day... but I think I tried to do a quick re-stack and weld without wire-welding the billet together. Either I just stacked or I wire wrapped.. can't recall. But the layers slipped apart a bit. So when I squished them together I mixed layers. I should have stopped immediately, re-grouped, re-ground, re-welded. But I did not. The thing is.... is that it would have looked just as pretty I think.. and just as cool.. but there would have been more of a repeating pattern in the damascus part.

• 2 weeks later...

Mistake or not, this looks amazing! I've been fascinated with crushed w's since I saw Dave's video as well, but I'm nowhere near the skill level to achieve something like this

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...