Best Shop Lighting?

Dan O'Connor

I now have run 200 amp service to the shop. Need some input on good lighting. Not the forge area but general shop area. Will have up close lighting for grinder and such but what about just general overhead lighting? Anything that can help these over 50 eyes is a plus.

I really, really like the high output flourescents I just put in my new shop Dan. Bright, intense. And less ornery than regular shop tubes. But if I had the money I would've put in the new LED banks. But they haven't really reached the consumer market yet in terms of price.

bright and adjustable at least some of them doesn't hurt to have different kinds of light for when looking for them scratches that only seam to show up at shows

Brandon Sawisch bladesmith

eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines

Hi Dan

I seem to be in the dark alot... <_< but i figured out abit lately when i got the new camera ... apparently all my pic's were coming out with this orangish yellow hue that i can't stand... !! apparently, its due to the bulb temperature color of the lights i was using ...

check this out

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/ColorTemp

now i put all 5000 and up (mostly 6500 K lights in the shop ) and holy mackeral, i can see again ^_^

throw all those soft piss yellow lights in the garbage can... they make it frustrating to see anything

and if that didn't help.... err, Mama alway said that you need more vitamins in your diet if your having a hard time seeing... ( not vitamin A, we get too much of that ) but thats another topic all together

;)

G

Dan,

I'm with you on task specific lighting for grinding etc in my last two shops I've used high output fluorescent tube fixtures; I have come to prefer the paired 4 footers rather than 8 foot tubes as the shorter ones are much easier to install, store and so forth. They are a bit more expensive but the extra light is worth it as I have 52 year old eyes myself. During the daytime the lights are nice but at night small aircraft want to land on the studio! Well almost, I'm near a small airport which may have something to do with it?

Denis

I think you can get any of the color temperatures you want in the high output... which I really recommend.

Rather... I recommend these if you can afford them:

My link

They just installed them in our local state fish hatchery and Holy Smokes! Will last much longer than flourescents.

For general workshop lighting, I like fluorescents with "daylight" tubes (6000 K or thereabouts). They are a little harsh for some people, so you may prefer "cool white". I always try to use High Frequency fittings (with electronic ballasts) to minimize the stroboscopic effect when rotating machinery or power tools are likely to be used in the room.

Local lighting for rotating machinery really needs to be completely flicker-free. It tended to be Tungsten-Halogen in my day, but I'd imagine LEDs running on DC should get the job done.

With low ceilings and therefore low lights, I tend to use weatherproof outdoor fittings in the workshop and garage. Not for the weatherproofing, but because they offer some mechanical protection to the tube. Little shards of glass and white powder raining down while I try to find the off switch for the grinder in the dark, isn't an experience I particularly wish to repeat.

I also try to have two independent light sources in the room (a window counts if there is one), on separate circuits (no common fuse, breaker or RCD/GFCI) for the same reason.