Things to do in Bellevue, WA?

Hi everyone,

I am in Bellevue, WA (close to Seattle) for the week for a conference but might need to take a break :-) Does anyone here have recommendations on good places to visit? Any interesting museums, etc?

Thank you,

Niels.

The Burke Museum at the University of Washington (Seattle Campus) is usually a very good visit. I'm not sure what the exhibit is right now, but they've usually got some very cool paleontology, archeology, geology, and a few other things going on.

There's also the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) in Seattle. I haven't been there myself but I've heard it's very good.

There's also the Seattle Arboretum, which is pretty fun, or the Ballard Locks (great place to picnic), which are right next to a smaller arboretum-ish area.

If you're looking for food, Paseo's ( in either Ballard or Fremont) is a little dive that has the best cuban sandwhiches ever, and is pretty close to the Ballard Locks. Agua Verde, a small mexican restaurant just down the street from the Burke Museum has very good mexican food and also rents kayaks and canoes (they're on the water). Poppy's (closer to downtown Seattle) also has very good food, but is kind of on the expensive side.

Cheers,

Dan

Across from Bellevue Square is the Bellevue Art Museum, there is a quilt exhibit and a collection of Shaker furniture mounted right now, plus the permanent collection. Most of the stuff that Scott mentioned is in Seattle proper, across the lake. However, there are good bus connections from Bellevue to Downtown and the U of W.

Lots of good food in Bellevue as well.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Go down to the Seattle ferry docks, and get a meal at Ivar's, and then go see the olde curiosities shoppe. Get some saltwater taffy. Watch them throw fish up at Pikes Place Market. Head across the sound if you have time and look up Gene Chapman and tell him we said hi.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

I had a thought, I don't know if you're going to be wheeled but, The Seattle Asian Art Museum http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/ has some great stuff, including a Sam Yellin gate and is on the grounds of Volunteer park, which is an Olmstead brothers work, same folks who designed Central Park in NY. Bruce Lee's grave is just a few blocks north, if that's your thing. South a half mile or so is the Costal Kitchen, always worth a stop.

Good Luck

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Go down to the Seattle ferry docks, and get a meal at Ivar's, and then go see the olde curiosities shoppe. Get some saltwater taffy. Watch them throw fish up at Pikes Place Market. Head across the sound if you have time and look up Gene Chapman and tell him we said hi.

I was also going to mention that just cruising the waterfront on Alaska Way could take up a whole day. You can get a discount combo ticket to the Seattle Aquarium and Argossy cruise on Elliot bay. The space needle is just a few blocks up from the water. There is also a brand new mega ferris wheel that just opened a couple weeks ago. There is plenty of parking right across from the aquarium and from there just take off on foot. Or hop the waterfront trolley.

And right below the space needle is the pacific Science Center and an Imax theater. And of course Paul Allen's metallic nightmare the EMP (Experience Music Project). You can't miss it, just look for a building that looks like a crumpled pop can.

The best thing to do in Bellevue is leave it.:unsure:

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

A fun city to visit but you'd never catch me living anywhere close to it. Sometimes I think 60 mi. away is still to close.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.