Oroshigane

Niko Hynninen

Hi.

Summer has bean quite moist around here so it has effected to-do list...but just for fun sens it was sunny day

I run some oroshigane.

Spark is hi-ultra hi C steel...and some slag ( wustite ) as side product,that was not added.

Some pics during run.

I.jpg

II.jpg

III.jpg

IIII.jpg

IIIII.jpg

IIIIII.jpg

IIIIIII.jpg

IIIIIIII.jpg

IIIIIIIII.jpg

IIIIIIIIII.jpg

IIIIIIIIIII.jpg

Niko

Edited by Niko Hynninen

Looks real good Niko.

Have you seen the new book by Kapp and Yoshihara?

"The Art of the Japanese Sword: The Craft of Swordmaking and its Appreciation"

They run though the same process there (I first saw Louie Mills do this in 2002) and they call the resulting steel..."Tamahagane" or shop made"tamahagane"...makes me wonder if the term "orishigane" has been discarded just like Tatara used to mean just the bellows and now means the furnace.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Hi Ric.

Thanks

I have not seen new book.

I have allways keeping tatara / tamahagane prosses as own..ore to steel

Oroshigane as refinement of that method, using tatara products and refining them way or in other.

I would use this term sens tatara point to step back method...and It would be wrong to say its homemade tamahagane

if I would have smelt it...hens oroshigane.

That is true, many names have chanced during time...but I think now days they still use term Oroshigane in Japan, to point out key idea of steels origin.

Greg

:D

I made tuyeres whit welding google lenses and it´s most fascinating to look at birth of steel.

Stucture looks good,silvery´s, brite.. but how it welds?...time will tell...this was just for fun.

BR

Niko

Hi.

Summer has bean quite moist around here so it has effected to-do list...but just for fun sens it was sunny day

I run some oroshigane.

Spark is hi-ultra hi C steel...and some slag ( wustite ) as side product,that was not added.

Niko

Niko,

Nice experiment with some good steel...that photographed nail I assume was getting turned to slag getting exposed to all that air. Assuming the typical amount of charcoal purchased is about 2-3 times the weight of the ore (per run) ( losses due to breaking preheating etc. )..what is the charcoal consumption for this process? Are the areas of large grain size as shown in one of the pics, low in carbon?

Jan

Hi Zeb.

Thank´s

My furnace to this and some other method´s as well is based

to this structute http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=20307

Todays version is even easyer to buld...some light weight blocks that are made of clay pellets that are fixed whith cement...( or something like that)? And same crucibel is in middle + free space filled whit clay pellets...they do sinter but thats ok in this.

Temps go realy hi if air flow is too hard..and yes this is whit two tuyeres.

DSCN0424 furn.jpg

Niko

Niko,

Nice experiment with some good steel...that photographed nail I assume was getting turned to slag getting exposed to all that air. Assuming the typical amount of charcoal purchased is about 2-3 times the weight of the ore (per run) ( losses due to breaking preheating etc. )..what is the charcoal consumption for this process? Are the areas of large grain size as shown in one of the pics, low in carbon?

Jan

Hi Jan.

Thank´s

Actually I just run this by feeling, good hand full of those nails and full shovel charcoal...and it was about 5-10min to next..

Preheat :D that was easy....some newspaper on bottom and light that one fire...charcoal all the way full...5-10 min´s and bore´s hotspot was all ready in hi temp. Total amount of charcoal might have bean 10 kg and iron as nails..over 3kg..total mass of oroshigane is bit over 2,3kg..if my skale did worked??

Whole bloom is hi / ultrahi C...after pulling this out of the bore I gave couble hits whit hammer and quench in water..grain size might be smaller duo that?? Spark is quite same all over the bloom.

Slag was from oxide and some of iron turned to cast and decarb after..slag was wustite...and I did not use any extra slag greating agent...just rusty nails,charcoal.

Niko

Terve Niko,

very nice...you're having your holidays ;) Sawolax ? Or own new place ?

Yes, please more pics whenever you make new run.

This new thread was a positive surprise :lol:

-Ismo-

Hi Ismo.

Holidays are starting next week...and its time to pack the bag´s ;)

Have tryed to make here and there, every where..too much ideas and way too little time to do all

Lets see if I have time/weather during weekend?

N

Results follow...

DSCN9937 i.jpg

DSCN9943 I.jpg

DSCN9957I.jpg

DSCN9963I.jpg

DSCN9964I.jpg

Slag

DSCN9979I.jpg

Spark

As seen Iron turned to molten state and looks that some sections C is about here and there unforgeable..maby ?

Agane bloom´s carbon is over all Hi - ultra hi carbon, no iron !

Slag was agane Wustite.

Total amount of iron 2,5kg bloom 2 kg ...charcoal...about 14kg total?

Time about 70min ( total)

Niko

As seen Iron turned to molten state and looks that some sections C is about here and there unforgeable..maby ?

Agane bloom´s carbon is over all Hi - ultra hi carbon, no iron !

Slag was agane Wustite.

Total amount of iron 2,5kg bloom 2 kg ...charcoal...about 14kg total?

Time about 70min ( total)

Niko

Niko,

Thanks for comparing the pure iron to the wrought nails.. I usually do this with all the bits and pieces accumulating from bloom cleaning....cast iron as a result is not uncommon.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Wow, that is some serious carbon!

Now to see how it will forge up. That could be tricky, at least in my limited experience.

Very pretty.

I love your smelter as well. Very neat, and easy.

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

Thanks Guys.

In this run I just tooked weight from iron charge, but rest was by feelign...quite same

as previous one.

Thinking that rust and size of old nails did had effect to keeping C bit lover than this run had.

In this iron was clean and also smaller size..both did effected...more that size though.

Sorting all after forging will determine whats next steps, dose it needs new treatment or not.

Lots of steel to prosses all ready so this was just sunny days fun run :D

Niko

the whole thing looks very interesting, so I tried some "playing with Aristoteles" too,on the weekend,

funny enough it lasted over three hours to melt down about 1,6kg of old nails I had taken out of the old kitchen floor (from the 30th).

So, Niko, you made me curious, since your big set up needed only 70 minutes to burn down your stuff, so I think that my little blower did not give the amount of air you are using, I burned about 4-5kg of hardwood charcoal,

probably mine made more cast, too, I did not check with sparks yet,

Could you pls give some details about your blowing-system, Niko?!

I will start another threat to show pics and results,

if that's OK

best regards

Ja terveisiä!

Jokke

thx!

really looks like a power-blower, no wonder that you use a ballvalve to simmer it down a bit,

I did put up some pics of my small device in my new threat

cu there

Edited by Jokke

Jokke